Thread: G4 MacBook PRO won't install OS

Default G4 MacBook PRO won't install OS

Greetings!
    So this patient is a MacBook Pro G4 15". The hard drive is formatted HFS extended and is empty.

OS X 10.0.4 in the CD/DVD drive:
    No bootable OS is found at startup. All keyboard actions to force boot leave the '?' folder on the screen.

Open firmware returns, "Boot size too small" and shows a boot size of zero bytes. If the full path to BootX is invoked it returns "incompatible version."

OS 9.2.1 in the CD/DVD drive
    No bootable OS is found at startup. All keyboard actions to force boot leave the '?' folder on the screen.

Open firmware returns, "Boot size too small" and shows a boot size of zero bytes.

I don't know the path to the bootloader for OS 9.

I'd like to get an operating system on this thing.
    Open firmware sees and can read through the file structures on both hd and cd. RAM, and cpu seem to be in good order. Target disc works fine.

What the heck do I do? I'm about to reenact Hercules skipping the shield with it.

Thanks!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

OS 10.0.xxx should not be used. Ever. In anything. I hope that was a typo.

No MacBook Pro was ever a G4. MacBooks are all Intel processors not G4 processors.

The oldest Powerbook G4 15" won't run anything earlier than OS 10.2.7.

If it's a 'MacBook' it won't run either of the OS's you have tried. Wrong processor for 9.x and 10.0 is too old even if you have an Intel build which were never officially released to the public… and you don't want to run 10.0 at all anyway.

If it's a 'PowerBook' It may or may not run 9.2 depends on which powerbook.. and you don't want to run 10.0 at all. I am not surprised that neither of those disks will boot.

We really need to know which specific Mac you have there.
    Damien,

Pardon my inability to read.
    It is PowerBook G4 15". 579c-a1041 is the most identifying mark.
    It had OSX as the only OS on it when I started, I did not install it. I did reformat the drive, though. ..kinda figured that that was a bad OS for this thing. I was surprised that 9.2 did not work out at all.

So, what OS should this box run? I have a copy of 9.0.4, as well. I was using desk tops when this was a common computer, so I know very little.

I don't find a1041 Do you know the mhz rating?

If a1041 is truly the model number then The a means it's an aluminum body powerbook. 1046 was the first model number I could find in the series (alum 15") and the earliest OS X it could run was 10.2.7 but I would recommend 10.4

The aluminum Powerbook G4 could not boot to any flavor of OS 9, though they could run OS 9 in 'Classic' emulation mode but only when booted to OS 10

the only thing I could find regarding the powerbook and a1041 was the chip number on the bluetooth/RF board inside the powerbook
    Damien,

Cpu is running at 1.3 GHz. So I guess that is aluminum model from 2003 or 2004. So I should put 10.4 or 10.5 on it?

Should I try to dump a known good OS onto the HD via Target Mode if it won't recognize those discs?

I would run the newest OS you have. 10.5 is good if you have it.

No don't dump an OS on there from another source because it may not have all the support files for this particular laptop. Do a fresh install from a retail OS disk or from an original system software disk that came with this model Mac

Mac OS 10.5.x is the last OS you can use because anything newer does not support the g4/ppc processor
    Damien,

Sweet! OS X 10.5 is installing now. I feel like a total tard. I really though these were older than OS X.

Thank you great Mac Guru.

Glad to hear it!

Damien,

What? ..the part where I feel like a total tard, or the damn thing is working now/still.

The success story of course! We don't laugh at you for being a tard until you've been here a while.
    Damien,

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    The success story of course! We don't laugh at you for being a tard until you've been here a while.
    Or become a moderator.

FYI......10.5 likes a bit more RAM. If you are RAM poor, and it is very sluggish, you can drop to 10.4, if you have it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin