Thread: MacMini 2012 OS

Default MacMini 2012 OS

Hi Guys,
    I tried to clone my OS 10.7.5 from a MacMini 2011 and tried to use it as a backup OS in my 2012 MacMini. Why cant the 2012 Mini wont recognize to boot with the 2011 MacMini? Is that possible or the 2012 has a minimum OS to work? Help plz. Thanks

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

The minimum OS your Mac is guaranteed to work with is the one that it shipped with your 2012 shipped with 10.8 I assume? 10.7 won't work or if it does it won't work well. Usually they just plain won't work at all
    Damien,

Default Minimum OS

Damien's right. It's an industry standard that ANY computer sold at retail will not accept an OS from prior to what was current at the time of manufacture.

The "uber geek" types can go in and "flash" BIOS's in hardware to "retro" a mother board or logic board, but it usually costs more than the computer did.

I found that Parallels will run OS 10.7 on my late 2012 Mini, but that's the only way I can access it. Frankly, I'd rather have Mountain Lion.

Actually, to clarify a bit.....

Sometimes you can push an OS forward on Macs with no issues....if they have minor OS changes between models. In this particular case, there are drivers and software specific changes that prevent your OS from moving forward.

You could reverse the process, and be 100% successful, because each new OS has all the drivers for all previous hardware.

One way to push a Mac OS forward: Clone an older machine, and then re-run the latest Combination Updater. This will almost always work, except (most often) when Apple has not yet released a newer OS yet. So, if you have you have a Mac running 10.7.5, clone it to another Mac, and then run the 10.7.5 Combo updater (have to boot to another volume to do this), and all the pieces and parts missing will be installed.

But....If the Mini shipped brand new with 10.7.5 (or later), this won't work. Until 10.7.6 Combo is released. You would think it would, but occasionally, Apple releases a special OS specific to a model. It is confusing, especially since the OSes have the same number! In this case (has happened a couple times with Minis), and you can only install the OS that ships with the Mini......until they release the next OS.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

All this (above) is separate from the can it boot issue, which is firmware related. BIOS on a std PC, and EFI on Macs and some high end servers (Itanium, etc.)

It is true that Apple picks a minimum OS.....and that's it. In your case, 10.8.1.

Again, after you have cloned your 10.7.5 OS, you can update it to 10.8 and it will boot and keep your accounts, applications, preferences, etc., once updated. I posted the above as I was thinking you could run 10.7.5.......but checked and it is a firmware limitation. Here's a good spot find a list. Usually you cannot install an OS older that was is listed, though there have been exceptions in the past.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thank you guys. I'll try the later part, that I think will work but I'm afraid that some of the software in the 10.7.5 might not work. But I'll try it and let you know if it works.
    I was thinking of getting a newer MacMini just now until I read this post. Hehehe! I was also thinking that the newer Minis has USB 3 unlike the ones I have. BUT, I just need to recheck the specs since I made a mistake, mine is not a 2012, I just got it last february of this year. Thanks again!