Thread: Usb 3.o flash drive and g4?

Question Usb 3.o flash drive and g4?

I have about eight hundred movies on many DVDs.
    Was thinking of transferring ALL movies to Flash Drives.

1. Will this even work?

2. Will a 3.0 flash drive be compatible with my MDD?
    Or stay with a 2.0 flash drive?

I have never used flash drives before?
    Don't know what to expect.

3. Do I need a controller of some kind.

Thanks, hazkell

PS: G4 still kicking butt ...... but getting left behind by you "speed freaks"!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Despite being 800 counts of copyright violation, it sounds like about 5 years work assuming you compress and if you don't compress it sounds like 3 years work and 800 flash drives

Even if you own the disk you can't rip it to a drive because breaking the DVD encryption is illegal for any reason at any time and in ALL cases.

USB 3 flash drives will work but You will be stuck at the USB speed of your G4 unless you buy a USB3 controller card.

Also flash drives are not all created equal, some will be acceptably fast on your bus and others gawdawful slow even though they claim the same speeds. When you find a brand you like stay with that brand/size
    Damien,

About copyrite, I joined a internet website and payed to download the movies.
    Many are stored on a hard drive, but are not the complete movie.
    About 20 minutes are missing on each one.
    Many are so old the copywrite has come and gone ...... no longer required.

I haven't downloaded any in about five or six years...... they went out of business .... so I just watch them over and over for background noise while using another G4 for internet use.

Change of subject ..... are you saying that if I have about 100 music CD/DVD that I bought retail and put them in iTunes ..... I'm breaking the copywrite?

If so, what good is iTunes?

thanks, h

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Copyright doesn't matter anymore once they are on DVD

(in the USA) IF you break the encryption on any encrypted DVD (doesn't matter what's on it or if you already own it) you have broken a piracy law. You see the movie people didn't like that copyrights expire and they especially didn't like 'Fair Use' laws so they purchased a law from our government that says that breaking the encryption is illegal even if you don't even copy the movie. Just the encryption breaking is enough to get you prosecuted. Doesn't even matter if the movie is so old it's public domain… you have still broken the encryption and therefore are prosecutable.
    Damien,

But......to be fair, one must weigh the risk.

A further complication with DVDs is that some now come with a version you can copy.....very confusing. To say the least.

I got a copy of Wedding Crashers as a gift, and it includes a copiable version to use on a computer. Happy to have it, but weird that it can be different by disk...

As for playing on USB....Dunno. I would just dump everything on a a hard drive or two, and play from there. USB 2 should work just fine. Be sure you have backups though....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks unc, probable will buy one USB 2 and give it a try.
    I do have a free HD available .....

Let me ask this ...... can I use one HD to boot the system and then a different HD that has the movies?
    Is that a good way .... Yes or No?
    Or does it make a difference?

Some of the DVDs are scratched and wont play.
    Thats why I'd like to dump the DVDs and use USB or the HD.
    I was thinking USB 2 would work .... but is it fast enough?

Is there a scratch remover?
    Got a brand name thats good?

thanks, h

Default External drive for movies

I've used external drives to hold my "ripped" (shhh...) movies for about seven years now, with Mac and PC.

The only problem I've encountered was with "Front Row" not being able to use an external drive for searching media. If you're not playing movies through Front Row, it shouldn't be a problem. I use VLC and it plays my external drive movies without a hitch.

As to the concept of ripping DVDs you own:

"Fair use" of media allows you to change formats of DVDs etc that you own HOWEVER it is illegal to circumvent copy protection methods. As most DVDs carry this you cant rip them without breaking the law, even if you own them.

In 2008, there was a bill proposed, that would have penalized possession of a "ripped" movie by forfeiture of the device containing it, and the device allegedly used to create it. Fortunately it was never tabled in Congress, or there would be about 80 million people without iPods, laptops, and cell phones. It's just another example of the movie industry's paranoia over piracy, and personally, I think it's ridiculous in the extreme.

To elaborate on this: (source here)

"Unfortunately, the software to do so isn't legal to distribute in or import into the U.S., thanks to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Section 1201 of the law bans software designed for "circumventing a technological measure"--in this case, the CSS, a copy-protection algorithm in commercial DVDs.

That's led to a bizarre legal result. Because of a twist in the law, the software to move DVDs onto a video iPod is illegal to sell but probably legal to use--if you can get it."

It's pretty easy and legal to get. Roxio sells software that will "convert for storage", by extracting a playable (no encryption) VIDEO_TS folder with the full disc or just the movie. This folder can then be used to "burn" a playable copy of the movie. I've never heard anything about the government or MPAA going after Roxio.

The major obstacle to prosecution in cases of DVD ripping is that, with all the sources for "digital" copies available today (iTunes, NetFlix, Digital Copies included in "multi disc packs", TiVo, video download plugins for browsers) it takes an expert to prove that what you have on your iPod, or an external HD wasn't legally obtained.

Also, except in cases of large scale and widespread distribution of "pirated movies", it's become increasingly difficult to sway a jury of people who own iPods, or laptops, or even cell phones, that have used them to view a "ripped movie"... into ruling against someone who's done nothing they haven't themselves.

I'm not recommending "ripping" to anyone, but as much as I've done it with the movies I paid my hard earned cash for, I can hardly say I don't advocate it.

I have a "shelf full" of DVDs on a single hard drive - they don't get scratched - they don't get lost under the sofa, they don't get loaned and never returned, and I don't have to watch twenty minutes of previews and ads for movies I already own, before I get to the feature I want to watch.

Thumbs up MMOline!

Thanks for those comment and imfo. We'll have to talk more about this .... If interested, let me know. P to P is probable best.
    It"s late and I'm out of bug juice ........................ signing off

good-night!, h