Thread: ThermalTake SATA Dock

Default ThermalTake SATA Dock

I'm "gutting" an old e-machine that served me well, but has outlived its usefulness. There's a 500Gb SATA HD (7200 RPM) in it that has a lot of files on it.
    I've seen a ThermalTake USB3 dock at BestBuy that will hold 2 SATA drives. I'm also looking at a 1Tb Seagate to put in it with the 500Gb.

Has anyone used this dock?

I like that I can "hotswap" because I also have 2 160Gb drives that I will probably be using with it too.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Only the newest Macs have USB 3 and I have heard it's flaky. YMMV. If you have an older Mac expect USB 2 speeds.

Thermaltake is a good name as far as I know. I didn't know they built docks like that.
    Damien,

Default ThermalTake Dock

I had never seen it till last month myself. It's a Late 2102 Mini Core i5 with four USB3 ports and I'm getting a USB3 hub to add more ports, because between my DVD-RW and Mouse & Keyboard I'm full up.
    Like I said, the "hot swap" makes it really convenient for me. Haven't seen it with T-bolt, yet.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by MMOnline View Post
    It's a Late 2102 Mini Core i5
    2102? That's pretty new

Let us know how you like the dock when you get it
    Damien,

Default ThermalTake Dock

I got this Mini June 22. I've been getting used to Mountain Lion. Learning the finer points of "approved developer apps". I like Launchpad - didn't have that in Snow Leopard. Not sure about Mission Control - I preferred having my Dashboard right in the dock.

Quad Core is smokin' fast though. My last Mac, a 13" MBP, was a CoreDuo and I though it was fast. When I get the 16Gb RAM upgrade week after next, there'll be no stoppin' this thing.

Toaster dock should be great. I have a single-slice version......no issues. It is USB 3, all my Macs are USB 2.

I really like how the HD nooks and crannies hold the melted butter and jam.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default ThermalTake dock

What an adventure! I took a bus to BestBuy near the house. They had PNY RAM (8Gb) on sale for $59 (regular $75), and the SeaGate Barracuda 1Tb SATA HD on sale for $75 (regular $85)...but they didn't have the dock at that store.

They DID have 4 of them across town, so I bought the RAM and HD and got back on the bus.

Good thing I did too. I picked up a SanDisk 32Gb Flash Drive for $14, and the girl at the cash register gave me $10 off my purchase just for filling out a credit card app (which was turned down, of course). When my info showed up on the screen, she pointed out that her mom was born on the exact same day as me. She did an override and gave me another $5 off, so I got $80 worth of stuff for $65.

I haven't had a day like that in a long, long time. Usually I get overcharged, and get the wrong stuff. I did have to walk from the bus stop to the house in the rain, but I can live with that. It's better than 102 degrees and 75% humidity.

So I stripped the drives out of the "old faithful" e-machine. I'm gonna miss it, but it served its purpose, and after six years, it's time to let it go.

I put the RAM in the Mini (took longer to pull the cables out of it than to replace the DIMMs - nice). I plugged the HDs (1.5 Tb) into the "toaster" - I like that name Unc - booted up and it's copying 285 Gb from the 500 to the 1Tb at about a gig and a half a minute.

Good stuff. Don't forget that if they came out of a Win box, likely formatted NTFS, and will be read only for Macs.

When you have all the data copied.....HFS+ for Macs, or FAT if you need to access from all platforms. Use em like floppies!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Mac to Win transfers

Actually I found a really cool (free-Yay!) app for swapping files between Mac and PC

Filedrop

There's NO set up beyond installing. It automatically finds EVERY device on your network, wired or wireless, and you simply "drag and drop" files to send between systems.

I copied 6 gigs of AVIs from the Win 7 machine to the mini in about fifteen minutes over Wi-Fi.

Sweet. Thanks for the tip!