Thread: B&w G3 no chime no boot no power to USB ports

Default B&w G3 no chime no boot no power to USB ports

I have a B&W G3 that has been upgraded to a 600mhz G4. It has been working well for several years now. Yesterday I booted into OS X 10.4.11 and it had a kernel panic. I tried restarting to no avail. Everything powers on, the fans the optical drive and the hddrives. The power button is green but there is no chime and the screen is black. There is also no power to the USB ports so I can't use the keyboard to flash PRAM or boot into open firmware. I've tried the CUDA and taking out the battery. I just put a new motherboard in it yesterday. This hasn't fixed anything.

I took this from another thread, but the same deal with mine:

"One thing I have noticed, with all the components back in place. When I re-started, I noticed the LED DS1 contantly being lit on the logic board. The PDF manual for the BW G3 states:

DS1 = ATA drive activity If a CD and/or Zip are attached to the ATA bus, this LED will illuminate at power/on restart time for a few seconds. After that, it is unlikely it will illuminate again in a trouble-free system. If this light stays on for a prolonged period, this is a sign of trouble on the ATA bus. If devices are connected to the ATA bus and this LED is dark at boot time, that is also likely a sign of trouble. If a hard disk drive were attached to this bus, the LED would flicker regularly indicating drive activity (reads/writes)."

When I disconnect the optical drive ide cable an connect the hdd ide cable the LED DS1 comes on for a moment at start and then turns off as it's supposed to.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How much RAM do you have in your MacInstien?

B&W suffers from similar ATA bus issues as Beige. Best to run your drives off some kind of PCI host card. The stock ATA is finicky, and unreliable.

I have 1 GB I have tested every RAM stick one by one. None have made a difference. I have one 120gb hdd connected via SATA PCI card and 1 6gb IDE. Neither will boot. All I get is black screen and there is no power to my USB port for some reason...

If you put a OS installer in the optical drive any luck? I'd try an OS 9 version off the stock bus and see what happens. I'll pull the ATA card when doing this. Tough without a keyboard. You might find a used USB PCI Card to get the keyboard back.

I know it can work but don't really think it likes 10.4.11

What about the video card?

I have seen later machines, up to an Mid age Mac Pro not boot correctly because of a failed video card.

Any spares laying around?

Just for giggles, you might reseat the video card, and might try booting the machine without it. Some later Macs can run without the card in....you can connect to via a network connection.......but no idea what a BW will do if booted without the video card in.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by ThaFunkBuddha View Post
    1 6gb IDE. Neither will boot. All I get is black screen and there is no power to my USB port for some reason...
    A hosed drive on the stock bus can prevent booting. A 6 GB drive has to be pretty old. I'd disconnect it just to see what happens.

A hosed drive on the stock bus can prevent booting. A 6 GB drive has to be pretty old. I'd disconnect it just to see what happens.
    Good thought. Pull the drive and PCI card and put a CD/DVD installer in optic drive. The computer will boot to any valid OS. Force it to boot the optical... Then try same thing with only the ATA card and nothing in optical drive.