Thread: I got tired of waiting…

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Default I got tired of waiting…

Thunderbolt to SATA adapters/docks are few and expensive. 179 was the cheapest I found and that was LaCie and already has a reputation for failing.

However I read about this on a google search result…

One of these Seagate GoFlex adapters for 99$

and one of these M/F eSATA cables

makes one of these external drives (previously modified to SATA)

Into one of these

Which results in this

Old

New

Using an 7200.14 Seagate. Not bad.. Plug the appropriate end of the cable into the data side of the Goflex (some minor plastic removal may be needed depending on your cable) and the other end into your drive. Plug in your Thunderbolt cable and power up your drive. Instant TB drive

Total costs (minus my mistake… thanks Rick for fixing my mistake) $102.25

Does anyone know if the GoFlex chipset supports Port Multiplication? (yeah I know… I'm dreaming again)
    Last edited by Damien; 06-04-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Damien,

Fun!

Seagate GoFLex as an adapalator. Who'd a thunk?

Does the GoFLex power off Tbolt?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

It does for it's own power needs and it will self power a 2.5 inch drive or SSD but it won't power up a 3.5 drive
    Damien,

I really like the HD case! Very retro. If life weren't so busy right now I'd try to figure out how to duplicate that, but I'll have to get to that later.

Isn't there some sort of MacGurus award for most innovative hack of the year? I'd like to nominate Damien. A true MacGuru mode.

The case is an original Apple 500MB external hard drive. It was 50 pin scsi then later at my hands became 68 pin LVD ultra160 scsi then earlier today it became eSATA

here is the page from when I made it 68 pin LVD
    Damien,

I have an older Seagate GoFLex Firewire USB drive. I wonder if that new Thunderbolt adapter would work with it.

Thumbs up

Gurus Approved™ hardware hack.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

The Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter is also a recommended solution when working with the Gemini 4:4:4 solid state recorder. I used one to connect to a 2.5" to 1.8" SATA adapter when offloading Arriraw footage onto a ARC-8050 (purchased from MacGurus/Burly of course).