Thread: No Outgoing mail on new iMac 21.5"

Confused No Outgoing mail on new iMac 21.5"

I migrated my MacBook to the new iMac. The settings in Mail are identical to those in mail on the MacBook but when I try to send and email I get a message that "the smtp server cannot be found. Check your setting or try another server". I re-entered the settings manually copying from the MacBook but still same message. When I got the MacBook I had the same issue but I do not remember "the fix".
    iMac 21.5-inch
    Mac OS X Version 10.8.3
    2.9 GHz Intel Cor i5
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Mail Version 6.3

I noticed that the settings change back to "none" on outgoing server after I select OK.
    (Seems Like all I have been doing since I picked the iMac up is updating...I think the move from 10.4.11 to 10.6 was a less drastic learning curve)

Thanks

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Have you checked to see what port number you're using and did that setting get transferred? Advanced Tab. That's the one I forget sometimes
    Damien,

Have you restarted your iMac? It seems like a simple little thing but I've had it fix mail before, and it's an easy step to do. Of course if you have done that, all I can say is never mind.

You might also check if SSL is required, and re-enter your user credentials.

If no luck, I would delete and recreate the SMTP server.

You can also open the Window/Connection Doctor for clues.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Same issus=es

wojo,

I have 2 threads around here on Guru's site about this. Read through them. Sound familiar? Heres the first.

https://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26565

The second has a little more...

https://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26605

Exclamation Email works in Outlook

I gave up on Apple's Mail. After printing the responses to this thread, I spent seems like weeks trying all the blog suggestions I could find. Decided to set up Out Look from the Office I got with the iMac. Still no email. I downloaded 10.8.3 Combo. Apple's Mail still dead in the water. Out Look works great. Prefer Apple's Mail but up side: Where I work uses Outlook for e-mail so now I can share events from work and home. I the Issue has something to do with 10.8.3 update since at purchase the iMac was 10.8.2 and the "send mail" died after the update.

(10.6.8 on Macbook was defaulted to port 110: 10.8.3 uses port 295 with SSL and 110 when unchecked. Would not work on port 25 either. Outlook is defaulted port 25.)

Thanks to ALL of you for the input.

Strange. Some mail clients just don't like some mail servers, or visa versa.

Glad you got it sorted.

There is Thunderbird too, for another free option, plus some other paid tools like Postbox.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Strange Indeed

Found out about two weeks ago that the ISP was in transition to new equipment and domain change to different ports. Put in the new pop and smtp servers and ports and everything was fine. I was told "there's no idea" why Microsoft outlook would connect to the new ports and my iMac using mac mail would not; "Sometimes apples is not as friendly as microsoft"

Anyway, thought that maybe if someone else is experience my original issue maybe the question: "Are you changing any of your equipment"? might need to be ask of the ISP.

As Always, thanks for everyone's input, advice and occasional humor.

Wojo

Good to hear. Yes, ISPs and others change DNS, gear, platforms, services....and sometimes it is not seamless.

A couple days ago, helping a neighbor with aMail issue on an old machine (10.4) that would not connect to SMTP server (mail host is DreamHost). Had been fine for about 6 months, and then would not connect though no changes.

Acting like bad credentials.....but sure they are right because we are receiving mail, and working 100% on her iPhone with the same settings. After testing/resetting everything else, with no improvement.....I deleted the SMTP preference, and recreated it. Exactly the same. It instantly connected and sent mail.

Who knows? Corrupt preference? Hard to say some times.
    Last edited by unclemac; 06-06-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Acting like bad credentials.....but sure they are right because we are receiving mail, and working 100% on her iPhone with the same settings. After testing/resetting everything else, with no improvement.....I deleted the SMTP preference, and recreated it. Exactly the same. It instantly connected and sent mail.
    Same issue I've messed with this past year on and off. Always had incoming mail but my out going was random or hit and miss.