Thread: Logical Drive Failure, Folders read Files do not

Default Logical Drive Failure, Folders read Files do not

i have 3 SIMPLE TECH 1.TB DRIVES
    One of my drives has a Capacity: 931.48 GB DATA

This drive1.TB had a Logical Failure.
    All of my folders show but the files do not.

First we ran Disk Warrior and it reported a Folder depth problem of one folder.
    Then I ran Data Rescue 3 Deep Scan for recovery but had some slow reads,
    and aborted the scan then Recovered about 6OO GB of data.

I tried once more and ran Data Rescue 3 Deep Scan as 2nd time
    and had 76 slow reads.
    The third round I Ran Data Rescue 3 again and
    Cloned the drive onto a new WD 2 TB drive.

Once we cloned the drive , we tried running Disk Warrior again on the original drive.
    Nothing changed. All the folders show but the files still do not read.
    When it initially crashed i found a small amount of folders with files in them, copied them off then I deleted those folders from the drive.

Lastly now im recovering a Deep Scan off the cloned drive, and am on the finish line of Postprocesseing the Reconstructed files data.

I want to get into a Drobo or some raid array soon, but right now I need to get my data off the drive.
    I have two jobs files on the drive and really need the data. Im a graphic designer and have massive amounts of hefty illustrator and photohshop files.

My question is what else can i do? I was going to try Intech Utility and see if that works. I had about 7.4 mg bad data on the drive. It was in the damaged folder on the recovered files. Mostly an array of file formats, from gif to Adobe Illustrator , jpegs etc.

I did not see my clients files in the mix. The odd thing is on this last scan i see the same numbers in the screen on the the files, for example their are Adobe 1,273 amount of recovered files. I had the same number on the very first scan. Disk Warrior reports the drive is ok. The first time we ran DW it said there was a folder depth problem with one folder. I went in and deleted what i thought might be the culprit. That report never came up again.
    Next it said there werer to many files, as the damaged report clumped in another 8k again of files. We deleted that folder and that report did not surface again.

We think the directory is screwed up, there is no partition on the drive.
    Please offer some ideas on how to proceed. I have not slept in a week.

Thanks to you MacGurus in advance

Doing well so far.

Failing drives are always a crap shoot. Glad you are getting some data.....

The only other thing I can think of is a different recover tool. There are a few out there, and you never know until you try one in a specific situation.....what you will get.

Will report back with some things to consider.

Keep in mind, if the drive is failing, the more you work it, the higher the risk of total failure. If the data is not replaceable, the safest thing to do is stop now, and ship it off to Drive Savers. Not cheap, but safest, best hope. Figure $1000 at a bare min.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Decoding file names after Data Recovery

Is their any third party software out there that will decode file names after recovery.
    One other note the zip files are numerical and the rar files have the names.
    Of course none of the others formats have names, they are all numerical.
    So far i have not found any. Checked some files for meta names but they were not there.
    Last edited by unclemac; 04-20-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Consolidated posts. Less is more!

R-Studio is less well known, but we have had some members have good success with it. Worth considering.

Disk Drill is another promising option that has performed better than Data Rescue.....at times.

Oh, and some times Disk Warrior can do wonders after multiple passes, if you really think it is directory only, not a failing HD. How does the data look in the preview, before replacing the directory?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Disk Warrior Reports

The folders are all visible with level depth.

First Disk Warrior Report:
    Repaired Item Count
    Repaired the total folder count of the Volume Information
    Detected More Items
    Location Desktop

Folder HFS+Private Data
    Repaired Item Count

File "temp79631
    Moved to the Rescued Items Folder
    (Orphaned files and folders that dont belong to any folder.)

Disk Information
    Files: 1, 192
    Folders: 53,642
    Free Space: 999.41 GB
    Format: MAC OS Extended (Journaled)
    Block Size: 4,096
    Disk Sectors: 1,953,262,944
    Media: FV-u35

The last Disk Warrior report said:
    All File and folder data was easily located.
    Comparison of the original and replacement directories indicates that there will be no changes to the number or contents of files and folders. all files and folders were compared and a total of 86,840 comparison tests were performed.

Errors if any, in the directory structure such as tree depth, header node, map nodes,nods size node counts, node links, indexes and more have been repaired,

Disk Information
    Files: 1, 195
    Folders: 53,642
    Free Space: 999.41 GB
    Format: MAC OS Extended (Journaled)
    Block Size: 4,096
    Disk Sectors: 1,953,262,944
    Media: FV-u35

Last edited by DezineJunkie; 04-21-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Default Damaged Items Folder

I located a Damaged Item folder on my cloned drive.
    It must have been there from the very first scan that was done.
    In the Damaged Items folder are several files i need from two jobs.
    They are Adobe Illustrator files about 50 of them.

I searched and found:
    http://daxxter.wordpress.com/2009/04...rator-ai-file/

"by Using a plain text editor that can search, (I used Bean) search for this string: /enableContentRecovery 0
    4. Change the 0 (zero) to a 1 and save it. Do not change its filename."

Is there any other way with a 3rd party sofware to recover Damaged items from the scan. The file names are all there with the files and there are many many in the folder.