Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: User Account Password Not Working after using Migration Assistant

Default User Account Password Not Working after using Migration Assistant

I used Migration Assistant to move only my Settings and Users from my Power PC (running 10.5.8) to my Mac Pro (running 10.7.5). Because of what I have read in these forums I did not migrate applications or and files/folders. I will do that manually. After migrating I tried logging in to my user account RLE 5 (my Power PC user) on my Mac Pro, but it is telling me I am using the wrong password. I used the same password I used on my Power PC, but with no luck. On my Mac Pro I went into System Preferences>Accounts>RLE 5 account and changed the password. I then rebooted and tried again. No luck.

Can somebody help me with this problem?

Thank you.

When you log into this site do a search for "account password" and you will see this is not the first occurrence of this issue and your solution should be in there.

Default Cannot Log Into Second User Account with Password After Migration Assistant

I cannot find anything specific to my problem. I must not have been clear about it. So I will elaborate.

I have a Power PC with 10.5.8. The admin user account name is RLE 5. I need a password to log into my root user account on my Power PC.

Then I bought a used Mac Pro with a clean install of 10.7.5 and no password set up yet for my admin user account. The admin user account name is Mac Pro. When I turn on the computer it opens to my admin user account where I have access to everything.

I used Migrations Assistant to move my Settings and Users from my Power PC to my Mac Pro. That seemed to to successfully.

So I now have four users on my Mac Pro: RLE 5 (the admin user from my Power PC which uses a password on my Power PC), Mac Pro (my admin user which does not require a password), and two guest user accounts.

I turn on my Mac Pro and it opens to my Mac Pro admin user account. I don't need to sign in. No problem.

I log out of Mac Pro. On my screen are the four user accounts. I click on RLE 5 (which was my admin user account on my Power PC that I migrated over to my Mac Pro) to log into that account and it asks me for a password. I type in the same password I use for my Power PC. It keeps telling me it is the incorrect password.

I cannot log into my user account RLE 5 on the Mac Pro. I am being told I have the incorrect password. I've gone to System Preferences>Accounts and changed the password. It doesn't make a difference.
    Also I cannot log into the Guest User account that migrated from the Power PC to the Mac Pro for the same reason. I have also tried to change the password for that Guest User account also but with no luck.

Another interesting thing has happened. I decided to give my Mac Pro admin user account a password by going to System Preferences>Accounts. But when I do a test to sign into my admin user account Mac Pro it tells me it is the wrong password. Luckily I can reboot the computer and it opens to my Mac Pro user without asking for a password. But if I log out of Mac Pro and try to then sign back in with the password it tells me it is the incorrect password.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quick things to test:

- Be sure the name is correct: capitalization, spaces, no space at beginning or end.

- Same for password.

- Verify Caps lock is off.

Once you confirm no errors in the entering the info, how about: Go back into Users and remove all passwords. Set them to [blank]. Confirm you can log into all accounts without a password.....or more correctly.....with a blank password.

Once you have confirmed all accounts are working correctly, we can go from there.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Just wondering, how do you do administrative tasks, like installing software? When you unlock account preferences you can use your admin password for MacPro?

Used to be we would be able to insert OS installer DVD and use the password manager utility from there. No DVD means no basic manager outside the system account preferences...

You might try downloading and reinstalling the Combo Updater for 10.7.5. Especially useful if you are getting behaviors that are out of normal for the accounts. Next step is an OS reinstall, which may be smart anyway if this is an OS install that came with the computer. No telling how someone else mangled it to make sure it was 'clean' before selling the MacPro to you.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

ricks:
    "When you unlock account preferences you can use your admin password for MacPro? " Yes, unclemac, I can. But if I log out of my account and then try to log back in, I can't using my admin password. The icon shakes its booty. I then have to restart the computer and it opens into my Mac Pro admin account.
    unclemac:
    I went to System Preferences>Users and Groups> and changed the passwords to three of the four User Accounts; RLE 5 (migrated from my Power PC Account), Mac Pro (admin on Mac Pro) and Robert's Guest (migrated from my Power PC Account). I logged out and tried the new passwords on each account. I was able to log into Robert's Guest account using the new password, but I was not able to log into RLE 5 or Mac Pro accounts using the new passwords. All spelling was correct and passwords were entered correctly.

I the removed all passwords. That worked. All accounts will open with no password.

So, I then went back and created a password for my RLE 5 account. It would not accept the password.

So the conclusion seems to be that I cannot assign a password that works for three out of four of my user accounts. Only the password for Robert's Guest will work correctly to sign in as that user.

I did make a bootable copy of Mac Pro before doing the migration.

I will wait to hear back from you before doing anything more. I actually didn't realize when I did Migration Assistant that the only thing it is doing is adding a user account. I don't really want a second admin account and would like to know if I can just delete the RLE 5 and Robert's Guest user accounts (the ones that were moved over to my Mac Pro via Migration Assistant) and remove the corresponding Settings that were also moved over to my Mac Pro via Migration Assistant. I could drag all the pertinent files from my Power PC to my Mac Pro using Target Disk Mode.

Thanks guys.

I thought I had responded to the last replies, but apparently not?

ricks: "When you unlock account preferences you can use your admin password for MacPro? " There isn't a password set up right now for admin of MacPro. But when I set one up I cannot log in as admin user when I use that password.

"You might try downloading and reinstalling the Combo Updater for 10.7.5. Especially useful if you are getting behaviors that are out of normal for the accounts. Next step is an OS reinstall, which may be smart anyway if this is an OS install that came with the computer. No telling how someone else mangled it to make sure it was 'clean' before selling the MacPro to you."
    I would be willing to buy new OS and install it for this 2006 Mac Pro. But I should first try reinstallying the combo updater for 10.7.5?

unclemac: I tried what you suggested regarding leaving passwords blank, and if I do that then I can log into user accounts using no passwords. But when I set up passwords for each user account, including admin, I am not allowed to log in using those passwords. I have made sure that I have proper spelling of users and passwords.

I made a bootable HD of MacPro before starting this.

Am I able to delete the Users and Settings that Migration Assistant moved from Power PC, or is that not recommended? If I am able to then I could manually move over all necessary files with Power PC in Target Disk Mode. I read in a forum the instructions for doing it that way.

Thanks guys.

Leave the Migration Assistant. Might need it later, will do no harm.

You can always delete extra accounts, but be sure you have all your data and info out of them first! Don't forget email, iPhoto, iCal, etc. Yell if you have questions.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2008 View Post
    Am I able to delete the Users and Settings that Migration Assistant moved from Power PC, or is that not recommended?

Not sure what you are getting at. Yes, you can delete anything you want.......but this is your data, isn't it?

I can log into all user accounts with a blank password.

I cannot log in as MacPro admin user, Power PC user that was migrated, nor as guest user (that was already on MacPro) when I assign passwords to each. Curiously, I can log in as Power PC Guest User that was migrated when it is assigned a password.

If MacPro admin user is assigned a password I can use it to do administrative tasks and unlock account preferences.

I am thinking of deleting all user accounts but admin, putting my PowerPC in Target Disk Mode, and moving all necessary files by hand. I saw in Apple forums a way to do it. What do you think of that?

I made a bootable HD of my MacPro before starting all of this if that matters.

I should try the Combo Updater for 10.7.5?

I am willing to buy a new OS X and just do a complete re-install? There is nothing really on this MacPro yet that I've put on here except the Adobe CS6 Suite and Lightroom 4, which is easy enough to reinstall. But can I install Mountain Lion on a 2006 MacPro?

Latest OS you can run is Lion.

Combo updater to use is usually the same one as the OS revision you are running. It will overwrite your current files and if there is a corruption or some sort of damage, hopefully replace that part. If the problem is in preferences then this won't help as those are kept intact. And if the problem is preferences they can even be imported into a fresh system using migration assistant - making that useless exercise as well.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Reinstalled Combo Updater

Hi Guys. I reinstalled Combo Updater. Still having the login issue, whereby I cannot log in to the user accounts, including admin, with a password. Can only log in with a blank password.

I will look into this further and hunt around in Apple Support, although questions often go unanswered in those forums.

unclemac: I did not realize before using MA that what it does is creates new users so that now I have four user accounts: Admin from PowerPC; Admin from MacPro; Guest Account from PowerPC; and Guest Account from MacPro. So my thinking was to delete the migrated user accounts and settings because that may be causing the problems and just manually drag what I need from my PowerPC to the MacPro by connecting them via FireWire and have PowerPC in target disk mode. But if you don't think the problem originated from this migration then I will just delete the MacPro Admin & Guest User accounts (with my former PowerPC user account set as Admin) since I don't need them and continue on.

I am hesitant to set up the MacPro without getting this resolved, but on the other hand having a login password is not important to me as nobody else has access to this computer. My only worry is that it is a small problem symptomatic of a larger one.

Thank You.

Yes, MA does exactly that: migrates everything (or what you check). Exact copies of User Accounts, Applications, and other settings such as machine name, network settings, etc.

It is most useful for the integrated data such as Mail, iCal, iPhoto, browser bookmarks, unique Finder settings and preferences, etc. Regular documents (Word, PDF, CS Suite, etc.) are easy enough to move manually (but come over as well with MA).

If it were me, I would consider this:

1. Verify that everything is still on the old Mac as you expect. Verify that you don't have any new, unique, or updated data on the new Mac in the migrated accounts.

2. Delete all accounts from the new Mac that you migrated, So you only have the single new, unique admin account on the new Mac.

3. Use MA again, and migrate only the accounts that you need: those with significant data, especially integrated stuff.

4. Test the migrated accounts. Should work exactly as the same as the old Mac, except anything that is PPC specific (usually only Applications are issues.

5. At this point your new Mac should be pretty squared away; one new admin account, plus the migrated account(s) you need.

-----

If the accounts still won't work (same PW issue), you can go into System Pref/Accounts and safely delete the account(s). Important: When prompted, select to NOT DELETE OR CHANGE THE USER HOME DIRECTORY. This leaves the home directory in place with all data and settings, and only deletes the user name and password, not user data.

Next, confirm/change the home directory name to be the correct name you want it to be.

After the account is deleted, it should look like: johnsmith(deleted).

It must be: lowercase, no spaces. For example:

Account Long Name: John Smith
    Account Short Name: johnsmith

So, in this example, be sure the home directory is named johnsmith. Do this first!! Once the home directory is named exactly the same as what the Account Short Name will be, now create a new Account. In this example, you would use John Smith in the Account Long Name, and johnsmith would fill in automatically for you in the Account Short Name field.

If the names match: when you hit the create button, you will see a dialog box asking if you want to use the existing home directory. YES.

If the names do not match: Normal new account is created. No harm, delete it (and the default empty home directory) and try again.

Default Ma #2

Thanks unclemac. I will do that. I just have one more quick question before I do. When I was reading up on using Migration Assistant I saw comments in various forums that strongly suggest only migrating users and settings with MA because code issues with non-Intel apps may cause problems that can damage the MacPro. It is suggested to do clean installs of all apps. This is from Kappy in an Apple forum: "If you are migrating a PowerPC system (G3, G4, or G5) to an Intel-Mac be careful what you migrate. Keep in mind that some items that may get transferred will not work on Intel machines and may end up causing your computer's operating system to malfunction."

What's your opinion on that?

I am unaware of any malfunctions that do anything close to damage.

Any code built for PPC will simply not run on a X86 Mac.

I used to work at an Apple Reseller that did literally hundreds (perhaps a thousand or more) migrations from PPC to X86, and never any issues beyond what is expected: PPC code does not run, and certain specific application data would not migrate well........such as Mail from 10.4 straight to 10.6 would not properly save/open previous folders.

Nothing that would risk any damage though.

Having said that, never hurts to reinstall Applications. I am comfortable doing either. Being lazy, I migrate everything, and then replace/update anything that is wonky. Never any mysterious issues for me that could not be explained and fixed with a reinstall and/or update.

For me, I never used Migration Assistant since I have always kept my Users Directory on a separate drive. The OS is on its own drive and I have always treated it as disposable. When I move to a new computer, I just take my Users drive with me and just recreate the global permissions (mostly just user accounts and network settings) on the new OS. I tend to move computers a lot, so I am comfortable with that method to reset myself on a new OS. Takes about 15 minutes and I am up and running.

That said, I never have a problem with old PowerPC DATA causing a problem with a new Intel Mac.Most of the time, data is data and it doesn't matter.

Now applications are a whole nuther problem. Old PowerPC code just flat won't run any longer since Apple dropped Rosetta. But damage your OS? - not likely. And damage your computer? - never.

If you decide to carry over old data from the old computer, you can. Taking whole file structures using Disk Copy (drag and drop) works pretty well with the latest versions of Disk Copy.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thanks ricks & unclemac. You guys are great. I'll delete users and remigrate everything, including apps. Will let you know how it goes.

Default Problem Using Migration Assistant

Pw's would still not work when I used Migrations Assistant. So I decided to follow unclemac's suggestions. I deleted the Users from my Mac Pro and just had the Admin and original Guest User (I can't delete it). I went to use MA again but it kept freezing up with the Power PC. I went to Disk Utility in Power PC and had this eye opening message: "This drive has reported a fatal hardware error to Disk Utility." That answers why MA was freezing up.

In addition to that, I wanted to check to make sure I had removed the User accounts from my Mac Pro that had been originally migrated using Migration Assistant the first time. I logged out of that my Admin user account and when I saw that the only Users were my Admin and my Guest users I logged back in to Admin User (using a blank password), but it took a long time. So I went to Disk Utility to repair permissions. I have attached a screen capture of the results from that in case it plays into any problems.

At this point I am updating my bootable HD for my Mac Pro and I plan on migrating data via Disk Target Mode as outlined here since I can still access data on Power PC via FireWire that I've had hooked up this whole time: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2295

My only question at this point is, I am dragging all of these files into my Admin User account or do I first create a 3rd User account and drag it all into there?

I have spent so much time on this that at this point I want to move forward and get off of my Power PC all my files and pertinent apps and I will just have to go from there.

But moving forward I would love to know what is best practices in anticipation of buying a newer Mac Pro in the next year or so.

I am curious how one has just the OS on one drive and everything else on another (or have them partitioned on the same drive?).

I'm throwing a lot out there, but I just have to get through this and get back to my photography work on the computer.

Thanks.
    Last edited by trebor2008; 04-25-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Keep it simple.

First, create a folder called "DATA from G5". Put it in your Admin User folder or inside your Documents folder. Bring EVERYTHING you want to keep from the G5 into that folder. You can even leave the file folder structure alone. Make that folder a clone of your data files from the G5.

I still have a folder called "9 Master" on my Intel Mac that came from a Quicksilver and has odds and ends of data files, lots of photos and scans and financials from back in the 90's. I can open them up and use them anytime I want on a current model MacPro. Can't launch any of the old apps that were in there. But if I ever decide to fire up a OS9 or Classic computer even those will run.

If you have ownership issues, and I would be surprised if you have any as ownership should default to your admin user if you use the admin user to import the data, but if you do have an issue, you just do a Get Info on the 'DATA from G5' folder' That folder was created by your Admin User so it has your permissions. From the Get Info window you can select 'apply to enclosed items' and everything in that folder will become owned by you. This changes their permissions to match the folder you created to hold them. Perfect.

Only you can choose whether to separate your User Directory. Make sure you understand it completely before you do it. The writeup is somewhat convoluted since I wrote it to be done without using a root password and without using Terminal commands. Hence there are some things in it that come in the back way to get things done that Apple tries to make difficult.

Nice part with moving a User Directory - and a User Directory is really just all your DATA - is that backing it up and moving to a new computer is so easy. Grab a copy of the User drive and drop it in a new computer, link it, and you are working on your old desktop.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

The only thing I would add, hopefully for clarity:

Data that is in individual files: yes, as Rick suggested, manually move. Keep in a folder. Manually open/sort/organize as you like after all is moved.

Data that is integrated to applications: iCal, iPhoto, Mail, etc. Do you have any you have to move? If not, you are done.

Oh, and yes, a failing HD GREATLY complicates the process. I would suggest that you move a folder or two at a time, so that if something hangs (has a problem), you can skip it and get the rest. This is a pain, but welcome to a failing HD.