Thread: Won't restart after updates

Question Won't restart after updates

I had three updates this evening and after download and install my MacBook went to a blue screen as usual and spinning circle (Not beach ball; the one like when something is loading in Safari) but did not shut down and restart. After about 20 minutes I forced it to shut down with the power button. Happened once before but I walked away and came back in a short while and finder was loaded. I have no idea what is causing this concern. Any ideas should this continue to be a concern??
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB71.0039.B0B
    SMC Version (system): 1.60f6
    Serial Number (system): W8031JYNF5W
    Hardware UUID: D6B88B01-6D1E-5C77-B2B7-996648EF9622

Thanks

What OS are you updating? The first thing I noticed was the 2GB of RAM. That might not be enough. Someone else will come along and agree ( or not ) with that assessment, but I'm thinking you need more RAM.

Second question would be what is the size of your hard drive and how full is it?

I have seen this a handful of times since about 10.7. Not sure what causes it....but so far, it has never been a symptom of a bigger problem.

My hunch is that something happens and hangs on deleting cache, temp files or otherwise innocuous process. It is a bother that it never completes (or perhaps takes longer than we can stand to wait), but I have not seen a detrimental effect yet.

Every time I have seen it, the machine was fine after a forced reboot: stable, no issues, and up to date. So the update completed.....but something would not let go. If the update did not complete, or the machine is unstable or wonky, that is a sign of something else going on.

Good idea about limited RAM and HD space. Both could make the process take longer, as info is replaced (and perhaps held in RAM during the move).
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Os 10.6.8

I thought I had included the OS, but !!!!!

I have been avoiding updating OS because I use Quicken 2007 a Power PC software run on Rosetta. Quicken screwed things when they came out with Quicken Essentials for Mac. Redesigned from the ground up leaving out investment tracking available in Power PC version.

I will look at RAM options. (Have almost 213 GB HD space)

Thanks
    Last edited by wojo; 04-18-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Forgot HD comment

I actually use the older version of quicken on 10.8. The trick is to use the new upgrade for quicken, NOT quicken essentials. You go to the app store and download it, might even be free I don't remember. Once you go to quicken essentials you are not able to go back to the old program with your files. Quicken essentials is really not as good as the original Quicken, that's why they made the upgrade, because everyone really hated essentials.

I'd suggest that when you do upgrades that you only do one at a time. It's a real pain but you can avoid the dreaded spinning ball. That spinning ball usually means that the OS is swapping information, putting it on the hard drive and then back into the RAM (thus the reason for more RAM) when you don't have much RAM.

If you can't even startup from your hard drive, boot up from the DVD/CD disk that came with your mac. Run Disk Utility and then repair the drive.

Someone correct me where I might be wrong, please.

The MacGurus RAM page says you can put 2 X 4GB ( and Rick should know) in your MB and that will speed up your machine and reduce the spinning beach balls occurrences. Best of luck!

You can also open Activity Monitor to keep an eye on RAM/swap file use. Lot's of page outs means hard drive thrashing. Not good especially on a drive that's more than half full.

Smile Everything OK Thanks to All

I had a slow down and tried to restart and the same blue screen came up like the other night after the software update. Let computer run about 3/4 hour while I went to grocery store and back. MacBook was till on same screen when I got back so I shut it down with powerbutton and Started on install disk and repair disk; repaired permission with install disk.
    after going on a few web sites I logged off and restarted the computer. Immediately shutdown and restarted on command from apple menu.

Thanks for the tip on the Quicken 7 update-