Thread: WD My Book Pro (WD5000E032)

Confused WD My Book Pro (WD5000E032)

I really need a mac guru's help as I have been suffering for two weeks now trying to research and resolve this problem but no solution to date.

I have a WD My Book Pro external 500GB firewire hard drive and its been working fine for two years now. Here are some details:-

MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo with 2MB RAM.

Above mentioned external hard drive connected via firewire 400 interface.

This has started to happen recently, while copying mutliple files or working on files on the drive, it suddenly freezes (hangs). The circular light on the face of the drive then continuously starts revolving clockwise in 4 steps: North, East, South, West and this continues. The only way to get out of it is to switch off the drive. When I switch off the drive, My MacBook Pro regains control or if I am using an app on the computer that does not need the external drive then it will not be effected even though the external drive hangs.

I have tried to reformat the drive (HFS+ Journaled) and have tried a new firewire cable but no difference. I have run Disk Warrior and Tech Tools Pro to correct it but no problems have been detected.

I called WD support and told them of that revolving light strobe, they said that it is an indication that the drive is failing and that I should back-up all my work off of it and buy a new one.

I continue to use the drive as it does work as long as 2 days without a problem and then suddenly bam - the revolving light and freeze.

Does anyone know of this problem or has managed to resolve it ? Is it really failing by way of a hardware problem ?

Any help will be appreciated

I would defiantly back that drive up. You've gone through some good steps thus far. Try... or create a new user account to see if this makes a difference. If problem quits while in the "new user" it's probably a software issue if not a hardware issue.

Has the sound or speed - reading or writing data to the drive changed recently?

Others will leave responses maybe more questions.

I called WD support and told them of that revolving light strobe, they said that it is an indication that the drive is failing and that I should back-up all my work off of it and buy a new one.
    You may not like their response but I would bet that since it's their product that they would know. That said MacGurus products are what I use! Check out their store and you will something to fit your needs.

If you have things on that drive you don't want to loose, back it up now. If it dies you will really pay through the nose to get that stuff back, if you can get it back.

Why do you work off of the external drive?

Good luck

Thumbs up -> rwm

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    I would defiantly back that drive up. You've gone through some good steps thus far. Try... or create a new user account to see if this makes a difference. If problem quits while in the "new user" it's probably a software issue if not a hardware issue.

Has the sound or speed - reading or writing data to the drive changed recently?

Others will leave responses maybe more questions.
    Thank you rwm, thank you for those useful suggestions. I will create a new user account or run the drive on a different machine to see if it behaves the same.

The sound or the speed of the drive has not changed. Apparently many people seem to have problems with this drive due its annoying green status: It spins down during zero activity and wakes up when activity is detected. This, however, was not a problematic issue for me.

Do you think I should upgrade my OS to 10.6 ?

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    You may not like their response but I would bet that since it's their product that they would know. That said MacGurus products are what I use! Check out their store and you will something to fit your needs.

If you have things on that drive you don't want to loose, back it up now. If it dies you will really pay through the nose to get that stuff back, if you can get it back.

Why do you work off of the external drive?

Good luck
    Thank you Yeungfeng. You're right about the fact that the manufacturers understand their products well and I appreciate the warning from them. However, I really wonder if it really is the drive.

I have already backed up all my stuff as soon as the drive started acting up.

Had a look at MacGurus products, very nice - something for me to consider in the future.

I really appreciate forums like these and people like you and rwm who add serious value to the whole concept

Arrow -> Note

Oh sorry, forgot to mention - I use an external 500GB drive because my internal hard drive in only 100 MB.

I work in the advertising industry and space is never enough. I am looking at upgrading my system in the near future.

If I were in your shoes....

I would get a new larger (500GB at least) internal HD for the MBP. Besides, space you will find that a good, new HD is noticeably faster. And, anything over about 3-4 years on a laptop HD is pushing it. True, some last 5 or more years, but do you want to risk data loss, and down time? Increase your reliability!

Just like tires on a car, HDs have a limited life. We can't just wish them a longer life. And just like tires, watch out for the cheapest, blow-out sale HDs. Some are old stock (year old!), some are "refurbished", and some are just bad models that nobody wanted. Sadly, you get what you pay for with HDs. What is your data (and your time) worth. No way I will try to "save" $10 or $20 by finding cheapie HDs on sale.......

Hybrids are really nice for an internal drive; you really feel the fast boot time, and fast access to the most used system files. They really do make your Mac feel much faster.

For an external, I would would not spend the extra $ on a hybrid. Just a good, currrent 7200 RPM HD.

Last, cause bare drives are a good deal, and HDs fill up and fail, I like cases that are well built, and meant to be opened. Sadly, every brand of pre-built HDs are now not meant to be opened. Seagate, Western Digital, LaCie, etc. .....they all want you to throw away your case and buy a new one. Crazy! Especially if you buy a good case with FW, USB 3, etc. Why not just replace the HD with the latest and greatest? I won't buy a cheap, "disposable" case. Something like this will save time, money, and aggravation in the long run.

Oh.......I should have asked which model MBP though. If it is unibody, then swapping the HD is easy. If it is older, it is more challenging, though doable.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Only way I know of to test whether the problem is the drive or the bridge board in the enclosure is to move the drive to a different box and test it.The problem may very well be a bridge board going south. It also could be a drive with a problem - usually a cooling problem since MyBooks aren't all that good at controlling temps.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin