Thread: ML server problems...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ML server problems...

This one should be simple enough for you all to help me with!
    As I don't often get involved with servers it's got me scratching my head a bit.
    I'm trying to set up VPN for the boss of an accounting firm to be able to login while he's away from the office.
    I've done all the usual stuff of setting up the VPN and creating a profile to install on the client MBP, L2TP is open on the router and forwarded to the server on 192.168.1.27, but when I try to login in all I get is L2TP-VPN server is not responding... tell me what info you need to help me out on this.
    Thank you.
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

Hmm, usually straight forward. Can you SSH in, to confirm ports are open and the router is forwarding correctly? Might check router logs to see if it is seeing/blocking connection....

This guide goes deeper, might cast some light on other aspects such as VLANs.

If you think everything is right.....have you restarted the server? That has got me a handful of time over the years....services that you expect to work when you turn them on...and look like they are running....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Forgot to ask: Is your VPN IP scheme different than your LAN IP scheme? AFAIK, this is a must.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Okay, this is going to different places all at once!

In the guide you linked to that showed setting up a VLAN... nowhere have I come across that suggested that for openers.
    Secondly, you're now talking about making sure it's different from the LAN - the set up that is SUPPOSED to work involves neither... just reserving the last 31 IP addresses for L2TP and that was already done in the Netgear router...

This is what I was working from:

When you configure VPN service, you set a range of IP addresses that are
    assigned to the remote VPN users. These addresses are on the serverís
    network. This range must not contain static IP addresses used on the network
    and must not overlap ranges provided by a DHCP server, an Internet router,
    or an AirPort Base Station. Make sure that these devices arenít assigning IP
    addresses from ranges that overlap with those that the VPN service is
    providing to remote users.
    To edit the default range, click the Edit button next to Client Addresses (refer
    to Figure 18-14). The dialog that appears describes the first IP addresses used
    for VPN and the number of addresses that will follow it. So, if the Starting At
    address is 192.168.206.224, and the Address for VPN is set at 31, the range
    will be 192.168.206.224 to 192.168.206.255.

That is EXACTLY what I did. So is it necessary to set up a VLAN or just advisable?
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

Oh, and while we're at it, I've just come across another puzzle!

I created the new accounts on the server. The idea initially was to have the server authenticate logins for the client macs - did that, but now customer wants to have the client home folders on the server so he can have them all backed up overnight on the NAS.
    So, not a problem, or so I thought!
    I went into Advanced settings and navigated to the user folders on the server and selected the first one... logged out of user, logged back in, except it's NOW telling me that there's an error, so I'm not getting anywhere fast here!
    I've got Open Directory set up, correctly I'm sure, so why would it now not let me in at all?

Just wondering if the path to the desired home folder is correct.
    It doesn't refer to the server at all, just shows:
    /Volumes/nettest
    (net test being the test account I set up on my own server)
    Shouldn't it be a bit more specific than that?