Thread: Connecting a new TB 21.5 iMac to a TV.

Default Connecting a new TB 21.5 iMac to a TV.

Hey tonight a neighbor friend and I were going to put a college BB game on the TV. Then I thought my older mini adapter won't work on this Thunderbolt thingy bob. It's been a while since I've watched much on TV obviously. I got this in December.

So did some looking and reading at Apple only. I think I see a TB to HDMI but then I'll need a 20' HDMI cable. I missed any TB to TV source if it's in the store.

So wheres the adapter? There has to be one.

Cheap fix.

Should carry audio too, depending on iMac model (and maybe OS?) but worst case, may need mini RCA to RCA audio on a separate cable.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Would this still be the best route? I have yet to reconnect my computer to TV with HDMI or RCA. So I just need the TB --> "to my need" adapter.

Yessir.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default A 20' HDMI cable

Damien pointed me to monoprice.com but they only show to a 15' then jump to 30' right here then I found this HDMI ethernet 20' from same place but any real use for the ethernet? It's here or maybe I just a 30'er from the other page then it can cover a TV moving for family get togethers.

Looks as if many/most do. opps,

Looking for 20'? Even Wally World sells them. Hows about this?

A Mini Display Port connector will plug right into a Thunderbolt connector on your iMac.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    A Mini Display Port connector will plug right into a Thunderbolt connector on your iMac.

Rick
    True! And it works!

I just connected a second 22" monitor (VGA) to my Mini with a MiniDisplay adapter in the T-Bolt port. I booted up and it "fired right up".

It's great! I have 44 inches of wide screen now. Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Audition, Fireworks, all have ENORMOUS work spaces.

The key (or so I was told) is that the T-Bolt has to go to an "active" output if you're using it as a second monitor. VGA and RCA are active outputs - HDMI and DVI are passive, according to the guys who showed me how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Well thank you... I assumed TB was TB. I've got said ..... Mini Display Port connector I'll test that out. easy fix.

Default TB and Mini Display

The guys who helped me explained it this way:
    If you have a Blu-Ray player it'll play DVDs because DVD is a "step behind" Blu-Ray, but you can't play a Blu-Ray disc on a DVD player.

A T-Bolt port will run a Mini Display adapter to VGA, RCA, DVI or HDMI monitor for the same reason. You CAN'T however, run a T-Bolt Display from a Mini Display port.