Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help bad with outgoing mail re: Apple's mail

Question Need help bad with outgoing mail re: Apple's mail

Now and then my email just will not send an email. This past week to the point I need to find a fix. I've done enough searching on Apple forums to see it has been a issue. However many of those people had more issues.

In the past it would happen but seem to fix itself. Now it's a daily headache and I keep getting the following message see attached. Often my Bresnan says "Offline" but it's sending me email and internet. I just can't send.

I'm looking for thoughts, ideas, a good Apple forum link. I'm going to spend more time with it today as this morning I can't send some needed emails...

My Bresnan is Offline and I can't bring in online. When I open the SMTP Advanced section and change from default ports (25, 465, 587) to Custom port 25 it will sometimes get it going again. I found that tip on Apple forums but does not fix it completely.

When you see off line that means the server is not responding to your requests. That is either an internet connection or hardware problem, like a router.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I'm on custom port 25 now and all well but for how long.

My Netgear router might be older? I've had to do much more power off/ back on now - weekly. It was every 60 days if that. This could be my issues. Need newer technology? It's a Netgear WGT624 v3 and problem free. I'll check today and see if it's firmware or other updates are needed.

I rarely touch my email settings.

This would definitely not be your email settings on your computer.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I can't see why it would be email settings either. Things are fine with it set to port 25 so I'll leave it for now.

I'll look to the router. Would reseting it hurt anything?

You are fine power cycling a router any time. WOrth it to see if the problem goes away. Give it a good 20 seconds unpowered.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I as thinking about the reset button itself. I'm tired powering it down.

I am not sure what a reset button would do - set it back to defaults?

That you would get really tired of since it would lose all your settings. I don't think the reset button does the same thing as a power cycle.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

You are correct. Or that's what I thought. Just wondering if it might do any good. Putting setting's back can't be that hard but no reason if I don't need.

Also my first look for new firmware was mostly for 360 X-Box problems. I think it's current. Just got busy today.

I think that routers just go out of date much like the G4 is ut of date. I was having simular problems before I replaced my router in December. I also had problems using facetime. I used Apple support and then called tech for the DSL and they suggested the new router. Bingo! It fixed everything, well internet stuff, you know.

One added thing was the speed of my DSL, pick right up to the discribed speed.

My router.... when working seems fine. I stream Pandora, FaceTime, Skype and have great speeds.

The only thing that ever gives me problem is out going mail via my Apple Mail - it just seems to drop offline even though I can still receive email and internet.

Some equipment is not talking right to another. I think.

FWIW - I have had things set to use Custom port 25 since yesterday. This was a suggestion on Apple forums. It don't make a lot of sense but is working.

Thumbs up Good so far

Since it was very easy and should not hurt much... I've had my Mail Apps SMTP Custom Port set to 25. This was one of a few solutions at Apple forums that helped some but more so did nothing for others with same problems.

So it's been 3 to 4 days with out an issue.

I actually had my mail app tell me that it couldn't connect with the server the other day. I just shut down and restarted and all was then right. It's gotta be that mercury being in a retrograde phase.

Glad it's working for you and me again.

Don't let yeungfeng fool ye Randy. He has zen gods that look after his computer. He has special attuned enlightenment that allows him to extend his consciousness into the microcircuits and banish evils.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Oh great, now everybody knows and I'm going to have to spend my time talking with my zen gods about fixing everyones computers. As though I don't have enough on my plate already. Anyone seen my divining rod? I know I put that around here . . . . . . somewhere.

I always keep a spare divining rod stashed and safe.....to help me find my primary divining rod when I lose it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Wow that's a great idea, a back up to your main divining rod. Seems that having a back up proves useful in many instances!

Confused port 110

I was all of a sudden having problems on 25 and Comcast had me reset to 110 with SSL disabled....that fixed it
    Tom Babb

Strange, on the 13th I decided to test port 25 and have not had the problem. This new OS is a little strange...

I still think it is their server....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin