Thread: Used MacPro: thoughts appreciated

Default Used MacPro: thoughts appreciated

I want to buy a used MacPro that I need for certain intel software. (have put off upgrading from my solid and well-working G5 for a long time). Don't care so much about it running 10.8 but do want it to still run 10.5 and 10.6 for software I want to keep. (maybe even a partition for 10.4). I may live in 10.7 perhaps??

Are there models to avoid, as well as ones that are a good choice?

I know the first couple generations will do this (if those were good machines), but I know their longevity will be shorter OS-wise. Also, are there other factors that I may not know about?

Thanks!

First two models run great - seldom see one that isn't still crunching away. They won't boot into 64 bit kernel is all. Price is usually right if you can handle stopping at Lion.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Also, any of them, even back to the first one, can take lots of RAM and can use an upgraded video card - which goes a long ways toward improving performance. Even though officially most newer graphics cards aren't supported, they install and work fine.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick. About the 64-bit: this means to run a 64-bit app you'd need to boot in it, yes? or can you run 64-bit apps in 32 and just not access the extra RAM? Is there a reason I'd be sorry to not be able to boot in 64-bit?

I was wondering if a 2008 model may be a good middle ground? I don't want a new Mac because I don't want to upgrade some of my software (e.g Quark, etc) and the older machines will let me use older OS, right? I could always use the G5 but having the software on the newer machine makes it more convenient. Although I know that as history has it, things as simple as iPhone upgrades will require a new version of iTunes that will only run on 10.8+, and the game begins again...

Mostly booting to 64 bit means you can dedicate more RAM to an application.

Also, 64 bit means it supports latest OS, for what that is worth - IMHO Snow Leopard was the last decent Apple operating system for a production computer.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

FYI the Apple Refurbished page has MacPros. Right now they have a whole bunch, some from 2010. That would run 10.6 on to Lion I do believe. I've purchased several refurbished macs and never been disappointed, including the present machine. Plus you get the one year warranty.