Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lion eats drives?

So some 19 hours later the drive has been successfully written over with zeroes in DU 10.8 on the Mini. Now copying the same files back onto the drive. The MBA is on it's way here, but will arrive too late to do anything tonight.

So today i put the drive back in the case, and hooked it up to my MBP running 10.6.8.. It was fine at first, but then did the same BS: unexpectedly unmounted itself, and wouldn't show up. Tried different cables/connections. Nothing. Unplugged the drive from the board, and tried again. Now it works, and I was able to successfully do large Finder copies, erase with DU, and clone my main drive with Super Duper.

WTF?

Gonna try it on the Mini, and MBA tomorrow.

Hooked it up to the Mini this morning. Worked fine at first, then failed about halfway through a Super Duper copy. Tried CCC too no luck.

Tried to erase no can do. Tried to partition. Nope. Can't mount the volume now either. Can't repair.

Verify and Repair volume “Burly2”
    Checking file systemInvalid content in journal
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking extents overflow file.
    Checking catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking catalog hierarchy.
    Checking extended attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    Repairing volume.
    The volume Burly2 could not be repaired.
    Volume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.
    Partition failed with the error:

Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed.
    I'm stumped. Does this have something to do with Apple's hidden recovery partition? Firmware issue?

Just wondering, does the drive show as being attached via SuperSpeed or Via Highspeed USB in Apple System Profiler?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

The Mini doesn't have USB3. I've tried it via USB2, and FW800. Makes no difference in the results only the speed at which they happen.

Re-formatted the the drive via direct SATA connection on the tower. Played with multiple file systems etc. Interesting thing is I could erase it with any file system, bit I could not split it into partitions. It would hang, and do nothing endlessly every time.

Stuck it back on the mini via the USB adaptor, and I could partition it no problem.

Just stuck the drive back in the case, and connected it to the Mini via FW800. Both partitions mounted. Open DU, and can't repair because they won't unmount.

Becoming frustrated now....

One thing that keeps annoying me during this whole process: whenever I erase a volume in DU TM pops up and asks if I want to use it as a backup. TM has been turned off in SP. Obviously that's a BS setting because it seems to constantly lurking in the background looking for fresh volumes.

When I set a preference to turn something off I want it OFF.

TM... this setting? mine's on my menu bar and in the system prefs 3rd row on System line

There is a on/off in it's prefs but mine's set to ON and I have never seen that message either on or off.

I've erased installed enough drives/systems I think if some thing easy I would have seen the same "prompt" and I have not ever. I had my iMac c2d, new i5, 3 mac mini for a friends. Always used Firewire no adapters. Well TB-FW adapter on new i5

Dang, this ones ugly. I really need to reread it... but dunno.

So I had to force eject the two partitions on the drive. Reconnected, and re partitioned into a single volume. Trying CCC again. Found an option in there to not erase anything on the target volume before cloning. Seems to be doing it's thing now.

Looking more like the hidden recovery partition is the culprit.

Looking more like the hidden recovery partition is the culprit.
    That's something I need to learn more about it looks or it's valuable uses. I won't even guess on yours any more.

This might be a dumb thought, but could it be the HD?

Don't everyone pile on all at once now.

Yeah this has been quite a journey so far. Making up for all the trouble-free hours of computing on my PPC systems I guess. Ah, progress.

On the upside the MBP hasn't freaked out on me in a few days now.

*knocks on desk*

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    This might be a dumb thought, but could it be the HD?

Don't everyone pile on all at once now.
    You know I might think that if it didn't work fine when it's connected via eSATA to the tower or with the cheapo drive adaptor. It even seems to be OK in the case when hooked to the MBP. Once it's been hooked to the Mini or the MBA in the case it freaks out, I have to pull it out, and hook it up some other way to get it back then it's fine. Very strange.

So CCC just successfully cloned the Mini's internal. Booted from the external, and verified the internal. Booted back, and everything is fine other than the mysteriously high level of disk activity with no apps open.

This is once I found the preference in CCC to not erase anything on the target volume. Hmmmmmm......

Reminds me of a Skynyrd song: there's things goin' on that you don't know.

Booted back, and everything is fine other than the mysteriously high level of disk activity with no apps open.
    Probably it's ahhh what's the name. Mine does it after each backup. ahh indexing? yes?

Shouldn't be any indexing going on if it's all been "turned off". That is unless off doesn't really mean off.

Looks like it's time to take a trip to the command line as root.

I meant the spotlight indexing? Mine always does and chows more than I'd expect.

Spotlight has supposedly been turned off on the Mini i.e. it's been told not to do any indexing of anything.

How do you deal with the hidden recovery partition constantly updating itself? Makes it so you can't repair or eject a volume until it's done. How do you know when it's done? Is it ever really done? Seems not.

Stuff to research, but the drive seems happy for now so I'm done with this for today. Think I'll go see if Mikiel has had any luck troubleshooting the unstable idle issue on the chump car.

I typically trash it, though it depends on the machine.

I have not seen it constantly updating itself though......abnormal weirdness?

As opposed to normal weirdness.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I've not seen this or it's gone by without me noticing. I usually notice high CPU usage as it's not usually my applications.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    I typically trash it, though it depends on the machine.

As opposed to normal weirdness.
    Hard to trash something you can't see. Shouldn't have to go all Terminal to deal with this stuff.

I haven't even looked at a computer until tonight. Pretty disgusted with the whole thing. Turning a 23-year-old $500 RX-7 into a race car seemed like the better option, and I've having better luck solving it's problems. I'll get back to this eventually.