Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lion eats drives?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.Brane
    Adding unneeded/unwanted features at the expense of speed, and stability. Who does that remind you of?
    Lockheed Martin Aerospace Defense Systems?
    Lockheed Martin Aerospace Defense Systems?
    LOL very funny or maybe not!

I see this more as a problem of all the interconnections between your computer, Apple's cloud services and App store, and all your mobile devices. All of these 'services' are handling your data under the table. There is no managing it. This is a problem with more than cookie sharing and site tracking when it comes to Google. I am not in the know on what all ML is doing to the data set. I do know that Lion and Mountain Lion WILL put all your contacts on their cloud servers without really telling you that is what they are doing.

I am very wary of Apple now selling and managing all software through the App Store. Makes me nervous that loss of personal purchaser control to a corporate structure sitting on Apple's servers.

And one thing for sure - Apple has spent a lot more time on their web interface for you and your iPhone,Pad,Pod than they have on their professional hardware and software. Most of us here are in Macs for the professional capabilities. Those have been sorely lacking for the last few years.

The Geni is out of the bottle, no two ways about it. I'm just an old curmudgeon.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Should of bought the refurb with CD and Snow Leopard and kept 10.6.

Rolleyes LMT (Lockheed)

My wife works there.....(she's chuckling in the background)
    Tom Babb

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    The Mini is a refurb, but came with 10.8 on it. Posting from it now. Kinda cool using the 50" plasma TV for a display.

So I hooked the case up to the G4 via eSATA with another cable from the drive to the board. Worked OK at first, but then hung on a large file transfer. Split it into 2 partitions, and tried again. Large file trans to one half worked, second half hung. Had to pull the plug on it. Drive hosed, but got it to mount again by hooking the bare drive up. Currently writing zeroes to the whole thing in 10.4.I'd say it's starting to look more like the drive itself has some kind of issue. We'll see what happens in a few hours.

I am loath to mess with the other drive at the moment since it's one of only two backups I have of the MBP.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm
    I was reffering to me and my new iMac the USB 3, TB, no FW , - I figured get the newer... I'd be just as happy with the last fastest iMac with a CD and 10.6 - I'd toss a fusion drive or SSD into it though.

I do enjoy that speed.

Damn, brane you do have something buggy there. bummer

The way the first board tested when it came back suggests that the connection is not the issue.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

DU is still writing away at a nice steady 114MBps. Only 2 more hours to go. We'll see if it chokes.

So 10.4 DU successfully wrote zeros to the entire drive as a single volume, and gave it a clean bill of health. The drive never got more than moderately warm, and is pretty quiet. Currently Finder copying the same files I used earlier. These are large video, and photo files I want on the Mini anyway so we'll see what happens when I hook it up here.

The MBA won't be back in the house until Thursday as Kris is in SD right now for work.

It's about 3/4 done copying the first 40GB folder. This is getting interesting. Firmware issue?

A photo for amusement while we wait: Gurus on the big screen!

One thing I can say for this little Mini box with 10.8 is it's pretty impressive in the snappiness dept. BTW had no weird issues mounting/unmounting the SD card from the camera.

Now I feel guilty for putting my better stereo into the basement. You have a nice look. I'm kicking myself for not getting the 27" maybe a trade-in upgrade someday.

I wouldn't consider my old Fishers "hi-fi", but they sound better than any of the mid-fi surround-sound garbage they're peddling these days. They actually produce some clean bass down to about 60hz or so from the sofa.

Using my cheap generic drive adaptor to copy the files to the Mini. It chugging away slowly in the background as I post. Too bad they wouldn't give the Mini an eSATA port. That would rock, but then they'd have to cal it the MacMiniUltraMoistPro or something like that. Hehe.

Looking pretty nice there.

Is the little pyramid on the left speaker an IR remote relay/booster thingy?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks uncle. The pyramid is actually a souvenir from my second honeymoon at the Luxor in Las Vegas.

The videos have been copied, and the photos are nearly done.

I'm being seriously pestered by an orange tomcat at the moment. It's getting close to dinner time. Better feed this beast before he busts out with the claws & teeth. Don't need any more pissed-off cats around here.

All the files were copied from the drive. Files on the drive were then sent to the trash, and trash emptied. Drive ejected, and re-mounted. No complaints.

Now we will copy said files back to the drive. yeah we are working with USB2 here so it's gonna take a while, but in any troubleshooting exercise you want to only do one thing at a time if possible.

Videos have gone back to the drive. Pictures are on the way.

This while listening to iTunes, surfing the internet, and importing pics into iPhoto.

Hmmmm........

Sounds like Sweet Success.

Well not yet. I still have to try the drive back in the case.

Sorry for the cliff-hanger there, but being awake for over 24 hours finally caught up with me. I took a little nap on the sofa which is not really such a bad thing because when I awoke the drive was still mounted, and accessible. File copy complete.

The plot thickens....

LOL, funny how I see tech where it isn't...even in little pyramids.

Yes, yes, I know that look:

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I'd say how you're a "sick puppy", ceptin you posted a shot of your kitty.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin