Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lion eats drives?

Default Mountain Lion eats drives?

Macbook Air + Burly FW800/eSATA/USB3 drive. USB3 connection to MBA.

Drive mounted, checked OK with DU. Attempted to clone the internal to the Burly with Super Duper. Copy failed while in the erase Burly stage. Drive un-mounts, and now can't be seen by any computer I have including the Windows box through any connection (tried all 3). Drive still powers on, and spins up. Activity light working.

Any ideas?

Update: Pismo saves the day in OS9 via USB! Took a couple tries, but got it to initialize the disk. Currently partitioning in Tiger on the Pismo. We'll see what happens next...
    Last edited by M.Brane; 02-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Theres not much can add. You know what your doing and the routine.

I'm using a TB to FW adapter with my Burly without problems. Have not tried USB 3. SuperDuper does my daily FW backup's in 4 minutes. Things don't change to much for me in a day.

From my research there seem to be a lot of issues with storage related tasks in 10.8. Disk Utility, & Time Machine appear to be pretty buggy in 10.8.

Makes me wonder what is going on in Cupertino these days. Dealing with my MBP, and Kris' MBA makes me nostalgic for OS9. Never had this many issues back then.

The Pismo is still partitioning the drive. USB1 slooooowww....

So here's where I'm at now:

The Pismo successfully partitioned the drive however when I tried to eject it it gave me the can't unmount error. Pulled the plug on it, and it wouldn't mount when reconnected.

Hooked it up to the G4 via eSATA. Mounts, DU works. Can't unmount.

Pulled the drive itself out of the case, and hooked it up bare with my USB adaptor. Works fine. Currently writing zeroes on the G4 via eSATA.

Stuck a spare drive in the case. It mounts fine, but eventually hangs while reading a file. Drive un-mounts itself, and won't re-mount.

Looks like a bad bridge board. Did the Cougar kill it? Dunno, but I'm not hooking the other one up to the MBA to find out!

Looks like this one will be going back to HQ.

Sounds like a funky bridge or a bad cable. Sorry about that.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Many different cables/busues used in this whole process so unlikely. Will test JTBS though.

The drive itself has been completely overwritten with zeroes in DU via eSATA on the G4, and given a clean bill of health.

No worries on your part Rick. Feces occurs.

I have not had the DU issues, but I see enough chatter to know it is real. Same with the USB 3 stuff.

What's going on with 10.8? Too much.

I hope 10.9 (likely only a few months away...) will be a massaging and finishing.....full OS updates every year are too often. I fear that statically, we will be running a buggy OS most of the time. It takes months to squash bugs, and it takes month roll out new features. I dread the continuous cycle of both......forever.

And rolling out an older more mature OS is not the fix, unless Apple decides to start building machines that will boot older OSes. Would love to be able to buy any Mac right now and boot 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8.....but they have never done that, and I don't see any hope to think they might. Would be awesome....but not gonna happen. So, they have to fix their stuff in 10.7, and 10.8, and soon 10.9.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

It pisses this peon off.

So here's where I'm at now:

Got a new bridge board for the drive case. Works fine via USB, and FW on the MBP w/10.6.8.

Hooked it up to the new (refurb) Mini running 10.8. Seems fine at first. Try to clone the Mini's drive to the external via USB. Errors out early in the copying stage. Drive unmounts, and is no longer recognized. Same with FW.

Turn drive off for a while. Mounts after a long delay. Shows up in DU, but greyed out at drive level for repair. Shows up at volume level, but during repair Time Machine pops up asking if I want to use it as a backup disk. Tell it no. Repeat this, and erase a few times with same results before becoming frustrated, and walking away.

Do some research. Go into Spotlight, and Time Machine prefs. Tell them both to not do anything with any of the drives. Try DU again. Same pop-up from TM asking if I want to use the drive. Can't repair or erase.

WTF? Do I need to kill these processes via command line just to do normal drive related tasks?

At least this bridge board seems to have survived so far, but I haven't hooked it up the MBA with USB3 yet. Not sure I want to at this point as that seems to have killed the last one.

Remember when Macs just worked?

I only used a TB to FW adapter out to my FW drives. No issues. I've not done as much as you have but... I've never had the TM or spotlight do what you've seen. I'm sure TM has asked.. I said no and all was good.

I just don't know. Should be straight forward but guess not.

Something to add to the mix, we can't find anything wrong with the bridge that was returned. We'll give a shot at a long copy to it next, see if we can get it to show any errors. Testing on a 2012 Mini. If you would, let me know what process you run that will always show errors and we'll try and duplicate them here.

Thanks!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Interesting. Maybe the cable from the board to the drive? I'll get to testing that after I figure out why the MBP is freaking out now.

One problem at a time would be an improvement. Ugh.

Just to be clear - the other supposedly identical enclosure works?
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Yes, but I have not hooked it up to either the MBA or the Mini both of which are running 10.8.

I have an older WD external that I used to clone the Mini's fresh OS. It seems to work fine though it's pretty slow. Kris also has a 3TB Seagate ext. that she was using with TM on the MBP. After hooking it to the MBA via TB to FW adaptor it started freaking out too so we haven't tried it again.

All I want to do is back up our data. Is it too much to ask? I'm quickly running out of storage options here.

Got some housecleaning to do so I have room to work, then gotta get some sleep before a 12hr shift tonight. Won't get into any more real troubleshooting till tomorrow. At least the MBP seems happy again. I'm beginning to think it may have a logic board issue.

TM and SL will always go after a newly mounted./formatted HD. Normal.

I don't think there is a preference in the GUI, but you can shut these off via command line, or a free third party tool. I like Tinker Tool.

or, via Terminal, you can set the TM preference manually:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine DoNotOfferNewDisksForBackup -bool YES
    If you change your mind at any point, enter the same except NO instead of YES at the end.

Good SL info here.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Another thing to add to the mix is the things Apple added to 10.8. One gentleman I know on Apple forums posts a lot of hardware specific information had this to say:

Here it is. I despise having facebook and twitter and similar installed in my operating system.

I want Apple to professionally engineer an uninstaller for ALL social site networking code in Mountain Lion because it is a VIRUS that IS severely slowing down your computer and placing unreasonable wear on hard drives and hardware. (puts Rosetta to shame)
    EVERY.... ( I mean "every") document, picture, drawing, movie, music file you create is being formatted for web transfer in the background without stop regardless if you have enabled facebook or twitter or icloud or whatever.
    THIS is a severe waste of computer processing power for those of us who only want or need a "Home" computer.
    How about.... give the customer the OPTION to choose what is installed????
    When ML is installed, lots of things happen all at once. One of them is that Apple now has underlying control over all the software on your computer - unless you have your computer forever disconnected from the internet. THis is happening all over, you see adds on websites tailored to your last page views at a given site. Apple has lots of doors open to your computer that never existed before.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

That could explain the "could not unmount" errors I've seen, but not the sudden, and unexpected unmount.

Adding unneeded/unwanted features at the expense of speed, and stability. Who does that remind you of?

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
    Adding unneeded/unwanted features at the expense of speed, and stability. Who does that remind you of?
    Lockheed Martin Aerospace Defense Systems?
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Next test I would probably want to do is swap the drive from the unworking enclosure over to the working one and run that to see if it resolves or not.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    THis is happening all over, you see adds on websites tailored to your last page views at a given site. Apple has lots of doors open to your computer that never existed before.
    Perhaps......perhaps not. I would like to see some evidence that Apple is spying, prying, or otherwise "using" our data. Targeted adds comes from browser cookies and Google. They have already been busted for malicious and secret invasiveness. It may be possible others including Apple are doing it too.....but a witch hunt is rarely useful or enlightening. I wonder if he is using the Chrome browser too...

Not defending Apple, just saying that I think this fellow may be hypothesizing above his pay grade. I am waiting for some evidence.

Until then, Google did it.