Thread: OS x and Apple Works

Default OS x and Apple Works

What is the highest OS X that will run Apple Works? I have it on 4.11 and it works fine but want to upgrade to 5 or 6. I need the Apple Works data base.

It's just so hard to give up software that works. I think it stops at 10.6. With the advent of 10.7 there was no more support for PPC apps, now what was it called? Someone knows that name, Rosetta, it was Rosetta and it allowed you to use the older apps.

You can still make the transition to 10.7 or 10.8. You will have to buy Pages, and Numbers. They will transform the data into their respective new programs, data shouldn't be lost, format might be intact. The one thing I don't like is 10.8 kills SAVE AS command. (can that be changed?)

One thing I've gleaned from my time with Macs, is to bend like bamboo. It all seems to just keep changing. You know, getting better, maybe

This Apple Document has a good list. Also this Google search.

Looks like 10.5 or maybe 10.6. I finally went to Pages and am really happy. It plays with Word, Excel and other PC apps much better. Both for importing and/or exporting. I need to cross platform every day easily and Appleworks would not.

Default Thanks

Always appreciate the knowledge of others freely shared.
    Thanks for the info, it looks like AppleWorks 6.2.9 will work on OS X 6 so I will go that route.
    As you say, it's hard to give up software that works, and the database in AppleWorks suits my needs fine.
    Thanks again . .
    Bob

Glad to help. I loved and lived with Appleworks a long time. Easy to use and very functional.

But what about AW data base? I don't think anything in iWork will help. I suspect that you would need something like FileMaker, or perhaps Bento, which is much cheaper and very slick (though not as full featured as FM).

Last I checked Bento had a free demo. If I were in your shoes, I would get the correct export, and then try try try before I buy. Data base conversion can be tricky. But, on the bright side.....you will likely end up with a better tool. Faster, more powerful, more flexible, and more future resistant. Need to access data on an iPhone or iPad? You can with Bento.

You can stretch AW longer.......but not forever. Don't let yourself get in a corner where you can't migrate forward. That day is coming, regardless.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks a lot for the link. I have been asked this question many times but ufortunately didn't new the correct answer.

Q Does AppleWorks work on Intel Macs?
    A Yes.