Thread: can I install iOS 5 instead of iOS 6

Default can I install iOS 5 instead of iOS 6

I selected MacGuru forums because I figured whom better to ask a Apple question than a Mac User. Rite?
    I'll get rite to the point.
    My question regards updating my "8GB iTouch 4G"(one of the first ones) that currently has iOS 4 on it.

I lost all Home button fuctionality aprox 2months ago.
    Well I read that iOS 5 was the first version to add "Assistive Touch" which would help a lot because it'd allow me to enable a "Virtual Home Button".
    Yes it's also available in iOS 6 but Maps is all screwed up in iOS 6 so I don't wana updrage all the way from iOS 4 to iOS 6.

In short is there a way I can install iOS 5 today rather than using iTunes to update all the way to iOS 6 ?
    Thank you for any direction in this matter. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    Xproject187

PS: I asked this question on another forum(Windoze Forum).
    I was told it could not be done,because iOS 5 is no longer available for download.
    Datt Dogg On Dem Dangz In Northern Cali Maing

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I would bet that the hacker community has a way. Search at the sites that deal with unlocking the iphone. It can't be done directly from any Apple download/process that I know of.

That said it is my impression that the Apple Maps issues have been blown way out of proportion. I have not had a single issue with it. With a couple exceptions the issues I have heard about seem pretty vague, like people jumping on the lets hate the big evil company bandwagon. There are some issues yes, important ones even but for a vast majority it works fine, looks great and is easier than any other to use
    Damien,

Default Can one install iOS5 instead of iOS6 ?

Thank you for your prompt reply Damien.
    I really should have worded my question differently,because I'd never allow one issue to prevent me from updating iOS. So Maps(alone) could never be the reason I'd opt to refrain from updating to iOS6(In reality,I hardly use Maps).

My desire to install iOS5 rather than iOS6 stems from an article I read,in which research was done on the "Pros & Cons" of iTouch 4G users upgrading to iOS6.
    In the article,research found that iTouch 4G users might opt to refrain from updating to iOS6 due to the many listed drawbacks,of which battery issue & performance lagg ranked highest with me & happen to be the only issues I can recall rite now(there were more listed). However it's been a long time since I read that article so the points of intrest are vague at best. Besides,if I looked for the article,it'd be my luck I wouldn't be able to find it anyway.

In short,the article stated that research found the "iTouch4G exhibits CPU Lagg & Abnormal Battery Drain with iOS6 installed". As opposed to a much snappier performing iTouch4G running iOS5. Then of course there is the Maps issue. So one can see why I'd contemplate. In fact I'd bet that the next Big iOS update will not support the iTouch4g due to hardware limitations. Thank you for your help & direction in this matter Damien,I'm off to the hacker community as you suggested to see if they have a way. If I find resolution,I'll return & post the steps in this thread.
    Last edited by Xproject187; 01-27-2013 at 04:39 PM.

I have an iPhone 4 and after I updated I have seen some annoying lag. Not bad enough to raise an issue about but just bad enough to be aggravating. Not seen the battery issue on the iPhone, maybe that one is specific to the iTouch.. good luck with your search
    Damien,

Default Double Thread Oopps

Damien,I seem to have a double thread going.
    I've been gone a long time & forgot I'd posted the exact question once before.
    The first thread is dated "11-13-2012" & entitled;
    "Can I get iOS 5(Not 6) & update iTouch4G" last entry dated 11-14-2012
    https://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26506

I'm very sorry about this & was hoping you might have a way of fixing the mess I've made. If it's deceided that one of the threads must be deleted,then obviously I'd prefer to keep the one containing valid links to documented bugs in iTouch 4G running iOS6.
    Thanks Damien

Personally, I don't care even a little bit if you have a duplicate thread. As long as it is useful, it doesn't have any negative effect at all. Only when there are two identical threads actively running at the same time does it matter. Then we just tend to combine them.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

and at MacGurus Rick has the absolute final say on anything his wife (Laurie aka Da Boss) lets him talk about
    Damien,

Default Sure thing

Just download the appropriate ios version from any number of sites. For your needs an example would be:
    http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/12/ios-5...oad-available/
    I haven't updated my phone in a while so iTunes may be slightly different, but when you plug the iPod Touch in and launch iTunes, click on the name of it in the left column and the main screen will show a button to update to the latest OS. Right click that button and a pop-out will have an option to look on your hard drive for an ios file (.ipsw). Select the file you downloaded and voila. This isn't a hack or anything, just a manual update.

If you have any problems let us know, good luck!

Hey thanks !
    I know it's been awhile since I've logged in but I thank you guys for your replies & I'm gunna try & give this a go tonite,I'll be back in a lil while to let ya know how it goes(I do recall seeing the "back-up menu before)
    Ok well thanks again,BRB.
    Xproject187

Default "Backdate the Firmware"

I was able to download the iOS 5 Firmware(1_5.0_9A334) for my iTouch_4G via the link you provided & it's currently sitting on my desktop waiting to be installed. However although it seems relatively simple,I hit a snag. I was unable to locate a button that would allow me to manually navigate to the iOS 5.0 Firmware,(rite-click or otherwise) & yes I followed your steps explicitly. Then I realized perhaps you'd missed a step & Yep you sure did. I needed to hold down the "SHIFT KEY" & Normal Click the "Restore Button" to access the navigate menu. So anyway all looked really good then I realized that I'd been stuck at the same message for well over a couple of hours(Verifying iPod Restore With Apple). So now I gotta see if I can figure out why that is& how to get around it.

Well thanks again for the direction to the correct Firmware & I'll keep you guys posted of thee outcome. If you come up with anymore ideas as to what I need to do,I surely welcome your advice.
    Xproject187