Thread: Can I go backwards in time?

Default Can I go backwards in time?

On the thread 'Filevault. How good?' I briefly detailed what I've done recently, involving upgrading from 10.6.8 to 10.8.

This was mainly to access increased security on the later OS.

I've coped with the odd problem, but now a Major One has arisen.

It won't let me open Quark Passport 7!

So if I go forward, I've got to buy upgrades to 8, and from discussions I've seen on the web, probably a full upgrade (expensive) to 9.

Hence the question. Can I de-install 10.8 and reinstall my original 10.6 OS, so that I can carry on as I was a couple of days ago?

HELP wanted.

Tks.

Allen.

Biggest hurdle is not the OS. Problem is that if you don't have a backup of all your database information for the 'i' apps - Mail, iPhoto and so on, then they will not work with an older OS version. When you update the OS those get updated to new configuration as well. Most of the changes are in the user's Library. There is no tool to take them backwards.

The only protection from this is a backup. With a backup from before the update you can just copy everything back over the top. Without a backup you are starting from scratch, just as if you lost that boot drive.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Agreed. A separate backup or clone makes it pretty easy. Without it, not easy.

You have to consider every app, and how you would get access to data.

Email: can you live without the folders? If not, you need to export everything, and then import them back into your new (old) OS. How much is on your email server?

Similar with the other apps. will need to export content, save, and import back to the new (old) apps.

files, applications, and preferences are pretty straight forward.

Probably too late now, but for everyone else: The safest way to do an upgrade is a complete clone first. Then, if there is a deal breaker like Quark, one can easily roll back to exactly where one left off. I usually hold onto a clone for at least a month, as sometimes it takes a while to uncover issues. Eventually the clone is dated enough that it has limited value (as you have created and modified content), and it can be written over, or shelved until the next upgrade cycle.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hello again.

You were right, of course - I've reinstalled 10.6, and got my Quark back, and incidentally my Logitech functions.

But my Mail doesn't work at all!

I got everything back by using Migration Assistant, thinking that would be safe, but apparently not.

The Mail prog I've got is now 4.3, but it just refuses to open. Do you happen to know (a) what Mail version would open, and (b) can I buy one from Apple?

I know it exists on my install disc, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

A.

I don't believe there is any method to run the newer Mail app with an older version OS. And the newer OS uses a different database relationship, which is why you cannot go back once you go forward - Migration assistant will not be written to undo a migration.

If you need your old mail or any other iApp data your next step is to go back to Mountain Lion. Sorry. Good reason to have a drink.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I climbed out of the bottle in 2002, but there are times when I regret my decision!

My fault entirely, I think. (The Mac and the Bottle).

Anyway, I've got round the problem (the Mac, that is - the bottle is just a distant (fond) memory).

I found a back-up I made 3 months ago, which I'd kept in the cupboard (literally), so I've rewiped the iMac hard drive, reinstalled 10.6, and am gradually dragging/dropping what I need from the elderly copy - so Mail now functions again, and Quark, and Logitech, etc.

The hard drive copy I made last week is buggered in many respects, so I'm only using bits off that in extremis.

No, I won't do it again!

Allen.