Thread: Mountain Lion Blues

Default Mountain Lion Blues

Now if I could have the band start up with some blues please.

Yes I have these mountain lion blues
    they leave me somewhat confused
    monitor resolution has me abused

and why in darnationed sakes is my bookkeeping software (yes, quickbooks for mac 2012) refuses to open the file for my business, unless it is mounted to my desk top. This is after upgrading? to Mountain Lion.

They've also done away with the "stretched" settings that were in Lion. I liked them better than whey they offer. Can they be added too?

One should always, always, upgrade your OS on Christmas eve, always. Or just before some other big event in your life.

I always loved this one: "I had to upgrade today. And I'm leaving for a photo shoot in Brazil tomorrow. Can you help me fix these problems?"

True story

At least you can say that yer buddy Rick's Christmas was more boring then yer own, this year.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Sorry, no help. I am allergic to stretched anything (desktop, TV screens, etc.) so I have no clue. Would be interesting to know if it is simply a preference or kext or something, and one could hack in a 10.7 file to add the options back in....or if there is something bigger at work that is simply not modifiable.

Quickbooks...don't use it either. Intuit has a bad track record of keeping up on the Mac side, so not too shocked. Here's what they admit to not working, but check out the link to a patch.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Rick I think that would be a more peaceful Christmas We had 20 people here, her family. Glad that's over with.

Well I figured out the QBs problem. Seems the upgrade went and changed the privileges. I'm not sure why I didn't see that, but then my screen is not stretched out properly.

Why heck after yesterdays dinner I'm just a little stretched. I've posted on this screen thing before and I was wondering if that allergic reaction causes fits of sneezing or something more drastic for you Mat.

The thing is I had it all set and it worked for all the programs and I didn't have to fiddle with it and now it's all wonky. I got Apple care for this iMac so I wouldn't have to take it apart, guess I test the folks out on this one and see if they really know anything, often they don't. But always friendly.

Get http://tweaksapp.com/app/mountain-tweaks/. It may not do everything you want but IMO it's a godsend...

Interesting item. It doesn't do what I have problems with. Though it is interesting to see that people are doing those sorts of things. Maybe there will be something else come up. Thanks for the introduction. There maybe hope yet.

I did some looking into your issue yesterday and it seems you are not alone. Apple's forums have a few posts about it but it looks like this started in Lion and progressed in Mountain Lion. I'm glad you pointed it out tho as I haven't updated from Lion yet and this may be a sticking point for me as well.

Yea, I've check some of them out hoping that I might find so work around. No luck so far and I might revert to Lion. But good grief, I just hate going backwards. The idea of using dictation is a big plus, and the integration that comes with iOS with my phone is something that make running my business much smoother.

I'm going to try a couple of other avenues to follow, if something comes of it all, I'll fill you in.

Oh no wait. If you haven't done enough already to screw things up with your computer, buy and new modem and change the settings. That will really fix things! I've really fixed things!

Ok so I'm not as dumb as I look. I kept telling the Apple Tech that the setting for the router were to blame, after I figured it out talking with her. Seems there's much about networking I don't know.

Is there some way of learning networking, with out having to spend 4 years in school. It's all initials of things that don't mean much to me. Maybe a dummies guide to networking. I'll look for that. Any other ideas?

Oh, so with that I believe I have made the transition to ML and can now stop with the blues. I hope it's worth it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng
    Is there some way of learning networking, with out having to spend 4 years in school. It's all initials of things that don't mean much to me. Maybe a dummies guide to networking. I'll look for that. Any other ideas?
    When or if you find something post it here. I always wanted to know and understand networking better but rarely have the need to use it. Once it's up running and working I never touch it.

I don't know S*1t from Shinola, but Rule #1 for dweebs like me is: make sure only one device is distributing DHCP addresses!
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Default Good point

Dave,

Like I said.... once it's running I don't touch it.

I really do wish a few years back I'd of played with the networking more. I learn best by doing it -- a few tips and directions are always appreciated. But it's just me and usually 1 computer.... sometimes 2 and a few devices.

I don't need another headache. A Happy New Year to you.

A Happy New Year to you too Randy.

People are always telling me that TCP/IP is simple.....

Well, I agree with that, as long as one is aware of the rules!

Becoming aware ain't so simple imho.

TCP/IP IS logical.

And it ain't rocket science; but who has the time? This stuff should just WORK!

Hehe!

In my experience, TCP/IP does just work. It's a fine protocol. But it only takes one uneducated meddler to do one uneducated thing and then mystery ensues!

Rule #1 for uneducated meddlers like me: ensure that only one device is distributing DHCP addresses.

For your average internet user, that one device should be the router attached or integral with the modem what is connecting to the Internot.

I know nothing.....
    "illegitimis non carborundum"