Thread: Cloning tool or migration assistant

Default Cloning tool or migration assistant

While searching for a Mac cloning tool I came to know about the migration assistant. Overall I see no difference between the two but want to know if there is any.

Which, out of cloning software and Migration assistant , should I prefer ?

Thanks

Many members here use these applications - SyncPro, CCC, ChronoSync, SuperDuper.

Migration Assistant won't "clone" a drive if I recall it only pulls different data from one drive into another system usually a new one.

That's pretty much it.

Cloning tools clone the entire OS (though they can be configured for other purposes too, such backups, etc.)

MA was built to migrate one's "stuff" to a new Mac. Fire up the new Mac, and migrate user data + installed applications to the new Mac that already has a new, virgin OS on it. MA requires a full OS already be installed on the destination Mac

A full clone includes the full bootable OS, so it does not need an OS installed on the destination Mac.

Keep in mind, if you have an older Mac with say 10.6 or 10.7 on it, and you buy a new Mac that has (and requires) 10.8.....you don't want to clone your old OS. It likely won't work on the new Mac. There are some exceptions, but normally you would want to use MA in this situation, so you can move & update your unique data and third party apps onto the new Mac with the new OS.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

The idea I collect from your inputs is - A cloning tool (Whether SyncPro or CCC, or SuperDuper or Stellar Drive Clone ) is more advanced than MA.

Because it can move your OS and that too in bootable form.
    Although it is recommended by Apple to not to clone older Mac OS X to a newer one.

Thanks for sharing inputs.