Thread: mixed hard drives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Confused mixed hard drives

I have only SATA drives, both 10K Western Digital and Seagate, all acquired from McGurus. Finally one Western Digital gave up its ghost after 4.5 years. No problem: it has seen a lot of use!!

My arrangement is Rick's split boot/local setup, and all backups are same way. That is, new apps and user's are on second drive called local. Works great. Also have third SATA for huge files.

Now I hear Rick likes the new SSD. Since one old boot SATA is now in heaven, I have to buy another. I would like to get an SSD with the proper Drive Converter for both MacPro and external Burly. Here come the tough questions:

Can my boot drive be SSD and local be old fashioned SATA? Like, 10K Raptor? Or do both have to be SSD? And can they be used with the third HD being SATA? Will I have problems "mixing" the hard drives? Any special drivers or plugins?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

You can have them mixed but I believe you would be slowing yourself down by doing so.

Also where you put the SSD depends on what you are doing with your mac. To decrease boot time and increase general responsiveness (app launch, finder) have your OS and apps maybe your whole user drive on it. If you have a lot of files you need fast access to then the OS on a standard drive and your files and maybe your user folder should be on the SSD

I have my OS and users on the ssd and my iTunes media folder on a spinning drive (cause it won't fit on the SSD and doesn't need the speed)
    Damien,

Rolleyes no more boot/local combination?

Thanks Damien. I must have missed something obvious.
    With the SSD, seems I don't need to split the OS from Users/Applications. No more boot and local as Rick designed for SATAs?

So, I can put everything that fits on one SSD, and keep the huge files (photos, movies, passworded diskimages for private files) on a separate SATA in a different bay. Is that correct?

How much of the SSD should remain unused and reserved for scratch? 50GB enough?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

You won't compromise performance by completely filling an SSD but if your OS is on there you need to leave some space available for VM swap space. How much you leave can be smaller if you have a lot of ram needs to be bigger if you don't have lots of ram. I would leave at least 10 gig free for VM swap in any case (more for low ram) but that's just a wild guess.

I don't use Photoshop so this is also a wild guess but I would think you would want enough scratch space to cover the size of the files you work with and a comfortable amount of extra.

Splitting the OS/Users was done mainly for speed and no you don't need to do that when you have an SSD. BUT there are other reasons to do itů security being a big one. Not ALL your stuff is on one drive
    Damien,

I'm one to target an SSD to the data that can benefit. On a MacPro, my personal use finds little purpose in putting the OS on an SSD. So what if it boots faster? I don't boot a computer for months at a time. If I could afford enough SSD space for my data, then that is where it would really pay off. Opening, closing, saving, history, scratch, all work better on an SSD. The OS and applications mostly get dumped into RAM on bootup and teh SSD does little after that.

My take. And based on a MacPro with a bunch of drives in it. And the ability to build a RAID for fast data access. Slow data access is the biggest single performance hit for anyone manipulating large data files.

On a computer with just one drive, an SSD is killer. Makes everything go faster.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Smile

Damien and Rick: thanks. Some take-aways from your comments regarding my future SSD:

1. I use photoshop, have 10GB of RAM and plan to leave at least 50GB free for scratch. According to both of you, that sounds plenty.
    2. I convert and edit movies, but have no idea how much VM swap space they use. In any case, those will be sitting on a terabyte SATA which will have its own scratch space available.
    3. Security isn't my problem; everything I have, and I mean EVERYTHING, is backed up several times over.
    4. My MacPro will have SSD and SATA drives inside; you guys say that's no problem.
    5. My life style is exact opposite of Rick's: I boot my computer several times a day, secure empty trash and create oodles of smaller files every day, and all the things Rick deems good for SSD I do. The OS may be the same during the "ON" period, but the applications go in and out several times a day. So Rick, looks like SSD will do me a lot of good.

Of course, I worry a bit about the "wear" part of the NAND cells. When the SSD arrives (my order on the way), it will be used and abused immediately. No one can answer how long it will last, so I will give it a try. Anything else special (like drivers) I should worry about? Will it fit into my Burly enclosure (after being inserted into its own)?

(I like your new mustache, Rick. And damien certainly got a lot younger)

marrand