Thread: TTP & drive corruption; all my stuff !!

Default TTP & drive corruption; all my stuff !!

ok, i ran the TTP (TechToolPro) sector test on a relatively little used 2TB WD caviar green sata drive which just holds my life's worth of digital photos, no OS. After 10 hours 80% thru, it reported a stretch of 112 consecutive bad sectors and continued examining. A bit later i got a "bad eject" error on the desktop. TTP was now frozen. The drive is suddenly unreadable. TTP forum moderator says magnetic flaking or electronics failure, but TTP could not have wrecked it cuz sector analysis is simply a read function. The great annoyance is how little used this drive is for complete failure, and why while running TTP?
    Anyone please?

My recommendation - NEVER ever buy a green drive from Western Digital. They are completely garbage. Failure rates too high to believe.

I'll stand by that anywhere. One of the reasons I don't carry WD drives. They are that bad.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

The tech is likely correct. It has been my experience is that heavy disk load will kill an HD that has issues, even unseen.

Kinda like racing a car that has high milage. If something is going to fail, under heavy load......you find out (the hard way) what was weak and prone to failure.

Used to see this all the time re-imaging a fleet if Macs about once a year. The machines would boot and run with no apparent issues. Wiping and re-imaging the HDs with about a 40GB system......without fail, every year at least several of the the machines would have an HD failure during the image process, while the HD was under heavy load writing out 40GB of data. And in older machines, the failure rate was usually (predictably) higher.

That was a good way to weed out failing HDs, at least with any issues within the first 40GB or so (these were MacBooks with 80GB HDs). No risk to user data, as we were starting fresh. Swap in new HD, and start over.

Writing zeros to the full drive has the same effect. If the drive has any lurking issues, it will likely not survive the process.

Sounds like you are not in that position though. I hope you have some back ups, cause it sounds like that will be the only way you will get data back.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

The first thing that TTP tells you when you start it up is that using any drive diagnostic tool can lead to data loss. Big message across the screen. Same applies to Drive Genius. Now you know why.
    I won't run anything unless I have already been assured by the customer that they either have a backup or they don't care about what's on the drive. Or I back it up for them.
    I agree about WD drives as well. I've had more failure rates with WD than any other... but I have had failures with EVERY make of drive except Intenso, but that's only because there aren't that many out there yet... and Apple have never installed them.

All drives are doomed because there's no testing any more - it's too expensive for them to do it the way they did it 20 years ago. I've still got SCSI drives from 1991 that are still good but they were all tested throughly before they left the factories.