Thread: does tech tool pro offer any value, use?

Default does tech tool pro offer any value, use?

Do you folks see any good or harm come from using tech tool pro on these xeon macs OSX?

Certainly no harm. I often use Techtool for all sorts of thing, including verifying RAM. It does what it says it does.
    The other things that I use are Diskwarrior and Drive Genius.
    Some people use Applejack, but I've never used it and not sure whether it does anything that the others don't do.

I think it is still decent, though have not used any version in a couple years.

I use Disk Warrior first, and find some uses for Drive Genius too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Neither Diskwarrior nor DG can test RAM or Video, whereas TTP can, so all three pieces of s/w have their uses.

True enough. Never had much luck with the RAM test, so I never valued it much, but maybe it was just me.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I had a Macbook Pro in last week. All sorts of problems going on. Ran the RAM test first... both sticks failed. Put in new ram, all okay. Tried old RAM in another Mac, failed again. Works for me!

What do you use for testing RAM Unc? I had some software a long time ago that I used with OS9, but since OS X came along TTP is the only thing I've used.

Hey, good to know it works.

Not much software wise. In my last job, we sold RAM, so I always had sticks to swap and test. Spoiled me I guess. Outside of that, have run Memtest/Rember too, but it takes so long.....I just swapped RAM and would see if issues went away.

Obviously not every one has access to known good RAM for nearly every Mac in the last 10 years.

I presume you mean Rember (for Memtest/86). I've used that in the past... that may have been the one I used in OS9, I don't reMember
    Like you, apart from TTP, I normally swap out RAM - I have a cupboard full of it, all the way back to my SE... even got some 512k sticks in there.
    I bought a huge box of old RAM about 8 years ago, thought it might come in handy sometime... I was wrong!

Sorry, I use it so little I could not Rember the name.....

Lol :d