Thread: MacPro 1,1 won't boot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MacPro 1,1 won't boot

It appears that my logic board failed on my MacPro (2006). The light and fans turn on but there is no chime and of course nothing happens. The LED's on the logic board are all off until I push the diag button. Then the first and last lights come on (The trickle and power lights I do believe). From what I have learned reading on the internet, the GPU light (2nd to last) is also supposed to come on? I have a later model MacPro (2009) and I took the video card and swapped it with the 2006 card. The 2006 MacPro still doesn't chime but the 2009 MacPro will chime with the 2006 video card installed. Apparently it doesn't know what to do with that card because the monitor doesn't come on. Anyone have any ideas on this?

By the way, I did swap/move RAM memory. There are two boards and I took each one out and swapped them. The red LED's on the cards light up and turn off normally. I removed all peripherals.

Memory or RAM can cause many strange issues. Did you go back or try the computer with the original or working RAM and see what happens? Do you have or could borrow a monitor to test on it.

Do things one step at a time so you which variable gets changed and what happens.

Others will post different suggestions.

Would be nice to see the info provided in the Apple service manual for this model. Would give the steps and options to diagnose test/indicator lights.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

RWM: I assume you are asking me if I tried the RAM from my 2009 MacPro in the 2006 model. Unfortunately it is not compatible. As far as RAM goes, I have two separate boards with RAM and I took each of them out. So unless both of the boards had bad RAM then that should have isolated that problem. Furthermore, since I had 6 RAM cards, I tried leaving only pairs of them in and I still didn't get different results. It doesn't seem like it is RAM that is my problem.

Unclemac: Yes, I tried a google search to find something in greater detail about the diagnostic lights on the motherboard. I couldn't find much. Just little pieces of information here and there.

The video cards aren't interchangeable so that's not going to help you.
    The issue is almost certainly power supply. I've replaced 3 in the last two months with the same symptoms, last one was yesterday. All are now working normally.

Oops, misread the post! Sorry, about that. I thought that you meant it wasn't starting up at all.
    If you can strip it down to one pair of memory sticks and then swap again that's one way of testing the ram.
    You may have a dud processor. You should be able to take one out and try to boot it. Then swap them over. If that solves the problem and allows it to start then you'll need to get a replacement processor.
    You have to be really quick with it though as the processors must not be separated from the heatsink for more than 15 minutes or the coating on the processor degrades... you may of course really not feel like doing this on your own, but I had a Mac Pro a while back with a dead processor, it will run with one, just not as quick.

Just had a quick look on ebay and there are a number of processors on there for 40 ($65) for 2.66ghz 1,1 Pros.
    If it's logic board then you're going to have to dig deeper.