Thread: Do I need more RAM memory?

Default Do I need more RAM memory?

Of course more would be better. Recently I have noticed by the end of a day my Activity Monitor is showing some Page outs and Swap used. This used to always be zero. It has to be from having several Safari windows or Tabs open all day long. I first suspected SuperDuper but the attachments are from before using SD.

So what is really going on here? My CPU activity rarely jumps much.

And.... is there a market for 1GB RAM sticks 800MHz DDR2. Seems the way Apple is sending computers out there is none. I might consider selling my 2GB and jump it to 4GB's.

I think you are fine. Heck, even with 6+ GB my memory usage looks worse. I typically run from 15 to 20 apps all the time.

molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Thanks Rick, sounds good.

The pie charts are not accurate because on 2 of them I closed up most apps before I took the "screen shots"

That did nothing to the total Page outs and Swap used - they seem like small amounts KB and MB. That was my main question.

Default This is more what I meant

I see this look a lot more now but things still run OK. A little slower. I've added using 1-2 bigger/medium apps and 3-4 more smaller ones. Still OK? It never crashes? Between all apps 15 to 20 mostly smaller stuff.

RAM is tricky on modern OSes. Very complex to understand. See the Inactive? Quite alot of RAM hiding there.

As I understand it, surplus RAM will be often be used for cache, so it is fairly common to "run out". Even with too little RAM, you should not see any crashes.........just more pauses and spinning beachballs.

The easiest item to watch is page outs. 0 is perfect, something like 5% of page ins is very good, and about 20% of page ins is normal. The closer page outs get to page ins, the more RAM will help your system. Look at all the screen shots. Rick needs RAM more than you! His page outs are a much larger percentage of his page ins.

-- A page in is a request for memory that gets RAM because it is available.

-- A page out is a request for memory that gets HD because RAM is not available.

-- Swap space is the amount of HD space the OS has reserved for to deliver page outs.

HD space works, but is many times slower than RAM, and can cause further delay to what you actually expect the HD to do, like open/save a file or app.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

zero is good (nothing running but a browser, drop box and jing):
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Thanks Unc, for the further clarification.

I understand everything you say. My Giga DA with 1.5 GB RAM never had page in/page outs and thats where I scratch my head some. I also understand... I am really mixing apples and oranges comparing my old G4 hardware/OS with my iMac and newest OS.

I understand Rick has more need as his page in/page outs.... are in GB's mine are MB's. I don't get to many spinning beachballs and when I do they are quick spins. Nothing serious.

Default Would jumping from 2GB to 4GB help much?

I keep watching my memory.... some different internet sites with my sports, TV guide, weather and more at times have ad's or what that suck CPU with the flash player and seems memory. I hate to toss money. I am using more iPhoto and want to dig deeper into a few apps.

So just buy it and see Randy.

Probably. Stick 3 or 4 in there and see the difference. You are using all 2 GB that you have, no doubt.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default This is the most swap I've seen too...

Safari flash was hogging and slowing stuff.....

Kinda hard to use more than 1.99 GB.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

LOL, I guess not. I'll pull 1 of my 1 GB's and put a 2GB in and see. That gives me 3GB - Headroom. fewer beachballs

Should be a noticeable improvement with that many pages.

Thumbs up Yes

I have not done much except open up everything I use and used Pages app for 20 minutes and it feels better...... I'll play around and test some.

Install was very easy, 2 GB of Guru's memory booted right up. Now I have 3 GB.

randy from the pics I saw of your memory usage you needed around 10% more memory. that extra GB will come in handy! RICKS you need to double your memory and then some! that's way too many page outs. Page outs are using the HDD for Memory, alot slower! hence the spinning beachballs. your comp will compensate with the use of HDD. ok but slower bad if you only have a small amount of disk space left. really bad if it's a laptop as it will wear out one section of your drive and eventually cause failure. hungover here, hope it made sense.

Thumbs up Better

I have not taken the time to really test but from the 2 days of normal use I do notice a better response when my memory is at 1.7 GB now and before things were a bit slower. Worth it.

Thumbs up Never did run tests but...

The 1 GB helped. But much better day to day feel.... no more wait. Screen shot is nothing special...
    hungover here, hope it made sense.
    LOL, I just saw that. You've had time to recover and go again.

Arrow Could use more RAM again...

As I write this about a year after my last...

I find my RAM getting all used up again... Using 2.96 GB and really only doing / using the same apps. s a year ago. Updates.

I'd put another GB in here but the new iMac will be full.

Randy

Well, when you get that new iMac (wait - remember, you don't even want to LOOK at them right now ) THEN u can install the RAM your heart desires.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I think it's the new OS's that are causing this ram issue. I ran my Mac Mini with 4 Gigs of ram with Snow Leopard and had no page outs at all, then switched over to Lion and started paging out after only an hour in safari. You can run the purge command in terminal to free inactive ram if it's getting short, but that shouldn't be necessary. For some reason inactive ram isn't being freed up by the system. I was hoping Apple would fix this issue with the last update but they didn't, and they may even call it a feature for all I know.