Thread: RAID or SSD

Default RAID or SSD

When we think about RAID its more about the storage space. But personally I find it a slow option. Isn't it? So, I think using SSD will be more likely option.

Any disadvantage here or any other option.....

That all depends on how your RAID is connected. If it's connected over firewire, usb, or similar the speeds will be limited by that interface. But if it's connected over fiber, thunderbolt, or eSATA it'll be much faster. SSD's are great for a small fast drive, but they're very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by subastein View Post
    When we think about RAID its more about the storage space. But personally I find it a slow option. Isn't it? So, I think using SSD will be more likely option.

Any disadvantage here or any other option.....

Agreed,

Many people might need to backup a TB or 2 even more data/info each day . A 4 Drive RAID would be quick, reliable, much less expense. I have no idea what the cost of needing a few TB's of SSD but more than Drives I assume.

Proper RAID and/or configuration and good drives are important. Ricks is great with them....

I am finding my day to day personal data storage is minimal compared to the G4 days. It fits on the stock drive.

Everyone's needs and uses vary.

The speed / cost variables are endless, I'm sure. If you want the very fastest, I would think a RAID built from SSD and connected via Thunderbolt, well that would be it. The fastest, I think, maybe fiber optic would be faster, but you couldn't get much faster.

As stated earlier, Thunderbolt connections are the fastest.
    eSATA next in line
    USB3 but that is seeming kind of buggy in Macs for now
    FW800

And I'll stop there. SSD really Fast in RAID, SATA HD pretty fast in RAID

You would want a backup of any RAID, as I think, one drive goes down you are not going to like not having a backup.

When you messure the costs then you know what you need.

I have a 2 Bay Burly and it's not a RAID. I don't come close to having that kind of information on my drives. But I do have several drives I backup to in a rotation so I can go back a year in my archives.

So why do you ask such a question? What are your plans? What's your vision?