Thread: How to resize bootcamp partition?

Default How to resize bootcamp partition?

I have a separate bootcamp partition for windows in my Mountain Lion. When tried to resize it with my partition manager software it failed. It is mentioned on its product site that the next version will have this ability.

What should I do till then?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

If you set this up with bootcamp itself then it's likely only bootcamp will be able to resize it.
    Damien,

Good question. There may be a third party app that will let you repartition non-destructively (resize), but none that I have used or can endorse. Camptune should get you there, but....

If you have Winders setup nicely, and don't want to do that again...one option would be to clone the OS, then destroy and recreate the BC partition the size you want...and them put the the cloned OS back.

You would end up with a full backup on another drive, so hopefully a low risk proposition. There are a few tools out there that can clone a BC volume, and last I checked, WinClone is the best overall.

Not a bad tool to have, so you can do a scheduled bootable backup to reinstall, migrate to a new machine, etc. Handy if your OS gets infected or otherwise whacked....just clone back the last good version.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    If you set this up with bootcamp itself then it's likely only bootcamp will be able to resize it.

Any threat to my data in that partition?
    Should I first back it up. Any guide to tell me the steps please.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

You should ALWAYS back it up first, especially when messing with the disk in a fundamental manner. I have almost no experience with bootcamp but in the past non-destructive resizable partitions always had to be done with the formatting tool that set them up in the first place
    Damien,

Yeah, that's the problem with resizing: You should always back up first, as there is always a risk (however small) of losing everything. If you spend the time and effort to do a complete OS clone, why resize? Sure resizing saves time, but only if you don't backup. Quick, but you don't gain a backup, or any skills or tools to do future backups.

At the very least you should backup important data and files that cannot be replaced. Depending on the OS, you can use the built in backup software, export the backup and then restore, or you could use third party software.

If you have software (and/or OS license) that would hard to reinstall, then you should backup the entire volume. WinClone is the most popular tool to do this; it can make your entire BC volume portable. FAQs and links should help with the process. The video is helpful too. Same thing but, back to a newer, bigger partition instead of to a second machine.

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks UncleMac. The software you suggested seems to do the job. But I doubt whether it can restore the image back to machine.