Thread: Synchronizing User folders in Leopard and Lion....

Default Synchronizing User folders in Leopard and Lion....

Can I? Should I? Would I?

Now that I have my old 2x2 G5 back up and running in it's same-old "Moved Users" config' with a pair of 1TB drives, it will be running headless via Timbuktu. The G5 is set up with SynchPro X to back up Root and Local volumes as per....

My main machine now is the Mini with a single internal HDD and one external 1TB FW HDD used 50/50 for a Pro Tools recording volume and a Time Machine backup for the Mini.

It would be really nice to have my Users Folders on both machines synchronized.

I can't use iCloud with the G5.

I don't think that SynchPro X will synchronize over my local ethernet lan, am I right?

Why? I hear you ask!

Well, just 'cause!

If, for whatever reason, my Mini goes into hysterics, I'd love to be able to just FW the G5 up to my Digidesign 002R and carry on, with my entire User folder just as it is on the Mini....

Yes, I know, there are applications on the Mini that I cannot use on the G5.

If that terrible day ever came to pass in, say, the midst of a crucial session, then it would be a simple thing to connect my peripherals to the G5 and carry on, albeit in ProTools LE not PT 10. I'm just thinking that it would be a good thing to have all the other stuff that one has in one's User folder all up to date and familiar!

Any thoughts?
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

That's a good one. Seems one should be able do that. Uncle, Damien, Rick spend more time doing that stuff. I don't switch until needed... It's our Thanksgiving Holiday weekend around here.

So after all the eating, drinking, hunting, football, shopping and family time someone that really knows what they are doing should follow up.

Problem is Apple databases are different. You sync the two and one of yer mail databases is no longer gonna work. Same with iPhoto, iTunes and iWeird (if you run that one) Apple makes you stay up once you upgrade an OS.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick.

I'll leave things alone!
    "illegitimis non carborundum"