Thread: Any cabling experts?

Default Any cabling experts?

Hello.

I bought an iMac from Apple last year, in October 2011.

It was described as :

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor, 2010 model.

And we have been very happy together.

Now, I want a DVI cable to run a 2nd screen, and while I'm used to chucking away $20-30 on cables that don't work, I thought this time I'd ask the Gurus first.

There is apparently a different version from earlier iMacs (up to about 2010/11) and post 2010/11. One is Mini DVI to VGA, the later is Mini Display Port to VGA.

Any clues as to which one I would have? I suspect it'd be the earlier, but tell me and save me a few quid!

Tks.

Allen.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

According to Low End Mac the only iMac that used a core i3 at 3.2ghz with a 21.5 inch screen came equipped with a Mini Display Port (DVI and VGA support using adapters from the mini display port)

You need this (first one on the page) It takes a mini display port to a DVI port. But the second one on the page will do the job AND allow more versatility in the future It takes a mini display port to a DVI or to an HDMI or to a standard display port (one at a time I assume)

Neither of those are 30$ or even 20$
    Damien,

Thanks Damien. Top advice, as usual.

The only thing I'd differ about is the money - things have a peculiar habit of getting more expensive as they cross the Atlantic*. The Amazon price for the first listed cable is £15-ish. There are cheaper (non-Apple) versions, but I tend to stick with the Apple products.

(For example, 3-year warranties which are about $140 turn up in England as £140!).

A.

Quote Originally Posted by billybobski View Post
    \
    (For example, 3-year warranties which are about $140 turn up in England as £140!).
    Steep indeed.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I have never had anything from monoprice ever cause an issue. I understand your reasoning, however remember Apple doesn't make cables/adapters they order them from Foxconn or some other such company which is likely the same company that Monoprice orders from.

I make OEM (original equipment manufacturer) car windows for a living for just about every big name auto maker, one of our biggest orders is the GM truck window. We also make AGR (aftermarket glass replacement) replacement windows. The only difference between OEM and AGR windows is that the OEM glass has a GM logo on it. They both are made on the same line by the same people at the same time using the same quality standard. Oh and the price… you definitely pay a premium for that little printed GM logo.

Yeah shipping sucks all over. If you can find a local device you will save a bunch.

Amazon UK has one for £19.49 in the package even
    Damien,

Thanks for that link, Damien, and I'll know where to come if I ever need a new windscreen.

A