Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thunderbolt Development Blues

For some reason that just reminded me of this:

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Whooohoo!!

Got our Thunderbolt Stickers!!

ARC-8050, with its sticker, is now officially blessed by Intel Thunderbolt sticker shipping department!!!

Look on the bright side: they might require a "Intel Inside" sticker too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Only difference between the eval models and the blessed ones is the blue Thunderbolt stickers like in this photo:

Just amazing how long after product was finished and through the Intel development process before Intel got the stickers and official approval out.

Glad it is done.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Confused usb3

isn't that what we'll be usin'
    Tom Babb

USB 3 is pretty good, not in the same class. Max bandwidth through any of the new USB 3 ports on Macs is 205MB/sec. Each port is good for that. We can put a 1000 MB/sec through a Tbolt port, but at a lot higher cost since the development is still new and it is stil getting a premium compared to the common USB 3. USB 3 has some funky behaviors at times on Macs as well, especially Retinas. In seeing the types of problems users have it makes me think Apple did it on a rush and on the cheap. Works, but with a number of limitations, like hotswapping doesn't work well. And hubs are almost always unpredictable.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Looks Great!

[QUOTE=ricks;131076]

Hi Rick,

This looks GREAT!!! How does the noise level of this thunderbolt enclosure compare to the FW 800 Burly 4 drive enclosure?

Regards,
    MsMikon

The ARECA box has 2 thermostatic controlled 120 MM fans. They are HUGE. And they barely spin during normal use. I have never gotten the RAID unit warm enough to get the fans to spin up faster. Generally speaking it is close to silent. I suppose in a hot location under heavy load it could ramp up some. Haven't been able to accomplish that in testing though. Always ran it with plenty of airflow to keep the drives cool.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default Looks Great!

Thanks for the info Rick, just what I had hoped to hear!

Regards,
    MsNikon