Thread: Mac Raid card

Default Mac Raid card

Can someone help. I have a mac raid card that only shows one drive. (bay 4) I can not get it to see the other drives. I tried two different computers. No Avail.

Means either a bad card or bad drives. Not seeing the drives at all is a hardware issue. There is no tricks you can use or resets, that I know of, that will get around drives that are not seen.

You might try pulling all 4 drives and testing each bay, one after the other, with one known good drive. See if the card and connections are working before making any assumptions about what is wrong with the current set.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thank you. I can put any drive in bay 4 and it will see that drive. So I take it that the card is bad. ..bummer..

Mac Pro or Xserve? G5 or intel?

Can't hurt to reseat the RAID card, and any cables depending on model.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

its a Mac pro Intel. I have two mac pro Intel Machines. I tried the card in both of them and it does the same thing.(only shows bay 4) I checked and double checked the connections, swapped drives and the only thing I can think of is the battery? My old one broke and so I ordered a different on and figured it should swap over. I guess that is not the case. I have done many on the Windows side and they can be a pain. But all in all they should be close to the same. So am I missing something?

I have never liked the Apple RAID card so I haven't spent a lot of time on them. SOmeone else will have to weigh in on this particular question.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I ordered another card and that will be in a couple of days. I'll see if it is the card or something odd. I'll get back to you.

Based on your testing, I would say bad card.

Pretty sure all the Apple stuff is built by LSI, I have never had any issues with them, except a few eating the cache battery, but you simply replace them.

They were all the same vintage, so I suspect a bad batch of batteries. The replacements have been fine. In all cases, the software reported a failed battery. No other issues, no instability, nor any problems with RAID 5 volumes. They seem to work well overall, though cost too much (you know that) and though they have good performance, not high enough to justify the cost.

Oh.........just reread your post. Are you trying to salvage/resuse an existing volume created with your previous card? Never tried that [knock wood], I suspect it would take the exact same model, same firmware (if there were different versions...) and then.....maybe. Don't know.

What say you Rick? Is the magic dust of a hardware RAID 5 volume ever transferable? Usually? I have read that with the same controller it can be possible, but hey you see a lot a crazy sh.....stuff on the interwebs.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Most of the time even firmware is not an issue. The card built RAID volume works with any of the cards that use similar logic and software. Even different model cards from the same manufacturer can be used to run one volume. That said, I have only minor experience, only occasional testing, of the Apple LSI cards. Our Areca cards are high end LSI chipsets these days, so no problem with LSI. I just never liked the cost versus performance and really dislike a RAID card that uses the internal drives. All personal issues - I'm pretty messed up that way.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I got another card and it worked like a charm. So a lot of headaches from a bad card. Thanks for your help.

Good deal. Thanks for the follow up!

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I have never liked the Apple RAID card so I haven't spent a lot of time on them. SOmeone else will have to weigh in on this particular question.

R
    I've had so many failures with the mac card it is not funny. Many clients many, many problems.

Huh.

Good to know. Never seen one fail yet, though have only helped with less than a dozen though.

typical problem is battery on card failing. problem with that is it disables the caching which in turn makes the machine it much slower

Oh yeah, seen that. Replace the battery.

Seriously though, I suspect there was a bad batch or something, as none that I replaced has failed a second time......except one. Replacement failed out of the box. The third one worked well.

Thinking back, it could be bad batteries, or something wrong with the card not supplying enough power. Time will tell if the problem returns. If not, I will stick with the bad battery theory.

Had a client buy 12 machines in jan. have been out nearly every other month with either battery, or raid failures have had many other clients with battery failures, I have at least identified the machines are best left on 24/7

Sad that it is so common......especially if it is just bad batteries. Apple should recall the cards or at least simply send every buyer a replacement battery.