Thread: MacBook 1,1 upgrade to 2,1

Red face MacBook 1,1 upgrade to 2,1

I own a MacBook 1,1 2.0GHz core duo. The Ethernet port no longer works and since this is the first Intel MacBook it does not run anything past Snow Leopard.

I want to fix it, and am aware that fixing the ethernet port would require that I purchase an entirely new logic board. If I am going to purchase a logic board, would I be able to buy a MacBook 2,1 logic board running a core 2 duo processor? If I am able to do that then I should be able to run Lion.

Any help would be appreciated.

Right off I would say no. Easiest reason is the external ports are in the wrong place. The MBP2,1 has a FW400 port and a FW800 port while the MBP1,1 has only the FW400. Every Mac model gets new locations which means different cutouts in the case and almost 100% of the time different standoff screw mounts for the motherboard, different wires to the power supply and so on.

Would sound like fun.... cept the MBP2,1 isn't worth at resale cost the effort and money you would spend creating it out of a 1,1. And it would be a frankenmac at that.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Right off I would say no. Easiest reason is the external ports are in the wrong place. The MBP2,1 has a FW400 port and a FW800 port while the MBP1,1 has only the FW400. Every Mac model gets new locations which means different cutouts in the case and almost 100% of the time different standoff screw mounts for the motherboard, different wires to the power supply and so on.

Would sound like fun.... cept the MBP2,1 isn't worth at resale cost the effort and money you would spend creating it out of a 1,1. And it would be a frankenmac at that.

Rick
    Thanks for the speedy response. Snow Leopard is a fine operating system. I would like the 64 bit architecture of the core 2 duos to at least run applications that aren't compatible with 32 bit processors, but such is life. I've had this thing since I bought it back it 2006 and it's served me well. Will have to look into upgrading to something newer in the near future.

Thanks!

I would agree.

If Ethernet is the only hadware issue, don't forget that you can get a USB to ethernet adapter, and save for a new(er) Mac.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin