Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Audio Stuttering on a G5

Default Maybe it's the video card?

M. Brane, you might be interested in this:

You suggested a bus timing issue in connection with audio stuttering. I remembered that when I removed the SATA card, when I hooked everything back up to the computer, I switched the DVI port the monitor was connected to. No particular reason. Actually, I think I just wanted to make sure it worked OK.

Well, trying different things today (none of which worked), I remembered that, and plugged the monitor back in where it HAD been before.

While I've said previously the problem was fixed, after restart, the audio stuttering was not present. I am hoping that this is a permanent fix.

I am not an expert on video cards. Does this mean my video card is not seated correctly? Is corrupt? Might need replacing? Is perfectly normal?

Thanks to everyone for their input. Knock on wood, hopefully this is the fix!!!!

Thumbs up Good thought, good luck

That might do it. Back then I always wondered why switching the various PCI cards around so they did not bottle neck or conflict worked often. I figured a slot should be a slot. Not always the case

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd 9 View Post
    M. Brane, you might be interested in this:

You suggested a bus timing issue in connection with audio stuttering. I remembered that when I removed the SATA card, when I hooked everything back up to the computer, I switched the DVI port the monitor was connected to. No particular reason. Actually, I think I just wanted to make sure it worked OK.

Well, trying different things today (none of which worked), I remembered that, and plugged the monitor back in where it HAD been before.

While I've said previously the problem was fixed, after restart, the audio stuttering was not present. I am hoping that this is a permanent fix.

I am not an expert on video cards. Does this mean my video card is not seated correctly? Is corrupt? Might need replacing? Is perfectly normal?

Thanks to everyone for their input. Knock on wood, hopefully this is the fix!!!!
    Could be that when you connect to the other port the card thinks it has 2 displays connected, and sucks more bandwidth from the bus. Just a WAG not knowing anything about your card or how the G5's bus doles out the bandwidth.

This is why we only change one thing at a time when troubleshooting. Failure to do so usually results in tail chasing.

Once again, the fix was only short lived. Back to stuttering again. Very frustrating experience. It's starting to look like I'm gonna have to sell this try and scrape together some $$$ and get an Intel machine. I'm really reaching the end of my capacity to deal with it.

Due to the fact that the problem goes away in OS 10.4.11 but appears in OS 10.5 would lead one to think that it's a software issue, and yet certain hardware things I did while running OS 10.5 seemed to help. But only temporarily. Now I'm starting to see very subtle stuttering (you can barely notice it) in iTunes as well.

sigh..............

One thing I haven't tried is reseating the video card. Possible that it came loose in shipping?

Blow gently the PCI slot out - loose airborne dust bunnies.

Unhappy Unbelievable as it seems.....

I contacted eBay buyer support, told them about my problem with the audio stuttering, and the unit is going back and I am going to get my money back. Although I realize that I probably should have persevered more and did more troubleshooting, I was at the VERY end of the 45 day support period offered by eBay. And I don't think I'll be buying a used computer off of eBay ever again.

Although just sorta kinda outta my price range, I have located a used 2006 first generation Intel Mac Pro. Because one of the top "handles" is bent it is affordable to me at this time.

However, this does break the one and only steadfast rule regarding the purchase of Apple products I've had over years: NEVER buy the first of ANYTHING that Apple comes out with. Always wait till at least the 2nd and preferably the third version of whatever it is.

Having said that, have their been issues with audio stuttering on the Intel Macs? And did you see the price of RAM for those suckers? Damn! (and allow me to say, uh, OUCH!). Also, have they proven to be reliable?

And, at the Everymac. com website, it had this to say in regards to RAM:

1.0 GB of RAM installed as two 512 MB modules. 6 slots free. RAM must be installed in pairs, and for "best acoustic performance" contain an "Apple-approved heat sink".

I read that and could feel my heart sink (pun sorta not really intended). What, uh, exactly does that mean?

While I know I will be limited to OS 10.6, at least it's a version that the makers of my editing software support, so there's that. Or will I be sorry for not scraping together an extra $200 to get a 2008 machine?

Hopefully, I'll be marching forward into the future with (yet another) used Mac, but really really really sad to be saying goodbye to the last of the Power PC processors...... RIP old friend........

Or will I be sorry for not scraping together an extra $200 to get a 2008 machine?
    200 bucks for a 2 year newer machine sounds like a better deal. But, I have no clue for the 2 machines you are comparing or looking at. Two years of technology is a lot. See what others say.

Hopefully you find a good machine. The Intel's have been better across the board. IMO Not as many 1st generation jitters.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I'd hazard a guess that the acoustic performance they refer too is how loud the fans run and has nothing to do with audio performance.
    Damien,

The heatsink thing is normal for that memory, and most of the memory that came after it. Any memory you find will have it.

The 2006 MacPro1,1 is a Mac that just keeps on ticking.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Well, I bit the bullet...

And opted for an early 2008 Mac Pro Quad Core 2.8.

I was JUST about to buy a copy of Mountain Lion at the Apple Store (to have it on hand for when the computer arrives), but it says that a previous requirement to installation is OS 10.6.8. However, the computer I am to take receipt of only has 10.5 installed on it.

Does this mean that I really should NOT jump from 10.5 to 10.8? (LOL) Maybe bad things would happen? Anyone here made that big of a leap and had it come out okay?

I mean, if I wiped my boot drive clean, and then did a fresh install of OS 10.8, will I be able to get it to behave correctly with my Users volume? Or should I just not be so darned impatient and upgrade the "normal way" via 10.6?

Thanks for the advice all. Hopefully I will be happy with the 2008 machine.

Haven't tried it, but with a backup I wouldn't care. Go for it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

So in other words, having your Users volume separate from the Boot volume works about the same way in OS 10.8 as it does in 10.5, basically? If so, yeah, should be no problem, I suppose......

User location will carry over through an upgrade. No problem.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin