Thread: "Normal" temps for G5?

Default "Normal" temps for G5?

I'm seeing temps of around 54-62 degrees C for the "Kodiak Diode" (whatever that is), the processors (not under heavy load), and the Graphics card. The fans don't seem to be running (maybe they're running on low and I can't hear them). Is this normal for a late 2005 dual 2.3 GHz G5, or do I need to worry that something's wrong?

P.S.: I KNOW all the fans work, because they've spun up during runs of Applejack in the past.

According to Hardware Monitor, the fans ARE working, but I'm seeing occasional temps upwards of 75 degrees Celsius on one of the processors (the other one is always a tad cooler).

MOSTLY the temps are between 45 and 68. But I'm seeing a couple of spikes in the low 70s. Again, is this something to be concerned about?

Dunno about the 2.3, but my 2.0's upper limit for CPU temp is 68C. 75C sounds high to me.

You don't say how hard the machine is working when the temp goes that high. When it is that high, how fast are the fans running?

Dust bunnies in the heatsink matrix?
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Yeah, the machine is not being put through heavy paces, I would say. Yet, I would kind of expect the fans to be noticeable during the brief periods of time I'm hitting the low 70s..... according to the history, it just spikes up there sometimes.

I mean, I have two browsers open, am listening to iTunes, and am editing a document in a word processor.... I wouldn't call that heavy.

Dust bunnies..... that is a distinct possibility! I will look into that.

Here is some more info. This seems to be typical, temps spiking and then retreating, one CPU always hotter than the other. I have no idea what I'm doing to cause the spikes like that, since my usage is fairly consistent.

I'm afraid this kind of thing is above my pay-grade!

About all I can do is ask dumb questions!

This G5; how long have you had it, and have the CPU's ever been removed and re-installed.

Has this temperature spiking only just occurred? Or is it that you have only recently begun to look?

Methinks that with a CPU temp that high, then the CPU fans should be whirling madly to bring it down. If not, Hmmmmmm....

Can you say "Thermal Calibration"? Unfortunately, only the Service Source folks have that software.

Over time, I have noticed that every now and again the fans in my 2x2.0 G5 will ramp up briefly even though I might be only running a browser, iTunes, Mail, that kind of thing. I never paid it no nevermind. But, if for some reason, the fans did not respond as they do, then yeah, I can see how the CPU temp might spike. I don't pretend to understand why my fans would ramp up briefly, but I can understand that a CPU's temp might spike if they didn't. Does that make any sense?

I wish I could be of more help.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

I'm not so sure either but sounds hot. Would this smcFanControl work with that computer?

Default The plot thickens......

I tried smcFanControl, but it would not work on the PPC architecture.

I put the computer to sleep this afternoon, and when I returned this evening, the fans were running at full blast -- first time that's ever happened. And quite odd, too. Have no idea why it would do that.

OTOH, it was also the first time I put the computer to sleep with Hardware Monitor active.... so I dunno if that had anything to do with it or not, or somehow prevented the computer from going to sleep? Again, I really don't know.

Hmmmm... a service trip to Apple might actually cost as much as I paid for the machine. Maybe I should have gone with the water cooled 2.5 Quad afterall....... sigh.......

When I have time, will check for dust bunnies etc. That might help.