Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What camera do you start to look at after a point and shoot?

If you move up to the EOS, whichever model, then we're talking interchangeable lenses. Whole different ballgame. The lenses tend to be narrower in use, you won't find a 24MM through 1200MM effective length, instead you will end up buying 2 or 3 lenses to accomplish that.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Thanks

I see now. No need or desire to change lenses now. This is coming together. I should look at another brands now that I can kind of keep Apples to Apples and oranges to oranges.
    I do like Cannon and know it would be a good quality camera.

Default In camera body type - spec's

What's the difference or "is there?" - a "SLR-like (bridge)" compared to a "Compact SLR" in camera body?

Like yeungfeng mentioned, the SX50 SLR has a viewfinder as well as a LCD screen.

A bridge camera skips the viewfinder, all you have is the LCD. I think the term 'bridge' came from way back when these new intermediate capability cameras were named that to indicate they were bridges between point and shoot simple cameras and SLR cameras with their interchangeable lenses and high end feature sets - like a viewfinder that looks through the lens system.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Arrow

Without going nuts searching the SX50 HS Amazon package is nice. The SX500 IS I think would be too. Why is the SX50 worth another 150 bucks more. It is better on paper. I'm looking at comparable Nikon Olympus. I know Fuji, Panasonic, Sony.....all make some good cameras but going to just ignore the searching and go with well known. I'd get more frustrated and buy the Cannon anyway.

You once mentioned wallet Rick, it's getting time.
    Last edited by rwm; 11-07-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Read the reviews, that is first. The SX500 may be too new of a model for many sites to have reviews.

Main difference is the 50 has a lot more range and is closer to a true prosumer camera than the 500, which is nice but leaves out several big ticket items - like all those video formats and speeds 4 times faster than the 500. Programed functionality will be tremendous difference. The SX50 is flat kick ass feature set. But you are right, you can get the 500 at Costco for half the price.

DP Review of the SX-50

DP Review of the SX-500

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Review of the SX500 was ugly at Amazon.

If it gets ugly I would look at other high end SLRs. New camera, all it takes is funky bugs in the software - just like a computer. Is a computer.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Rick we are on the same page with this camera. The DP Review had reviews from owners = 4.92 of 5. That is wow. I don't really need a new camera, but it sure makes me want that one.

Randy try to find something better, that will fill the vacant time slot, don't knkow if you can though.

This is a VIDEO shot with the SX50 camera. Unbelievable.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Damn. THAT is impressive.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I'm not finding much wrong at all with that Canon SX50. I was looking at other sample photo's, zoom in's... etc from it and damn looks good.

This Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 has no reviews on this site but seems to pop up as a "favorable" camera also. Good Amazon reviews.

I really think the Cannon will be a good choice or better said a safer buy.

The Canon SX50 scores lower than others here.

Randy,

Have you considered a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, rather than a reflex/SLR or P&S?

It's kind of a hot segment right now.

The point and shoot market has been decimated by smartphones. So camera makers are looking to recover somehow by offering cameras that are a step above smartphones and P&S but in some respects not quite a full DSLR. And MILCs design-wise sit right in between.

Like a P&S there's no mirror, which you find in a nearly all (D)SLR. Flapping up the mirror is a (noisy) mechanical operation which limits shutters speed, although there are some high performance DSLR that can crank out impressive shots per sec. MILC like P&S don't have mirror flap noise and some of the high end MILC can best the DSLR in terms of shots/sec. No mirror, no prism like DSLRs, so MILC are more compact too -- so closer to a P&S rather than a DSLR.

P&S often don't have the best lens, and you're stuck with what comes on the camera. That's why DSLRs benefit from having interchangeable lens for quality, range, etc. MILC like DSLRs have interchangeable lens, they're often bigger than the typical puny lenses that come on P&S so the quality can be better, and you also get some options like DSLR. Not to mention with digital, I find I want to upgrade my camera (bodies) like computers every couple of years. With interchangeable lenses, you keep them, and just get new bodies -- and I find it easy enough to trade-in bodies. I find it nearly impossible to trade-in a P&S.

Since it's a newish segment, you typically don't find the same range of lenses for MILCs as you do with DSLRs. But in some cases, like Canon, there's an adapter for their new Canon EOS M which lets you use (D) SLR EOS lenses. Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, etc. have MILCs -- again, it's the hot segment.

I have a full size big-ass Canon DSLR body and a bunch of Eos lenses. For knock around quick snaps, I was using a P&S until I got my iPhone, which is what I use now. For better quality and to have something light, I'd take an MILC like the Canon EOS M over a P&S any day. I'd also go Canon because it means I can use all my current EOS lenses and flashes. Look at the very bottom of this page:
    http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/07/c...os-m-official/
    That's a Pro 70-200 L lenses mounted on the new EOS M with the help of an adapter. Don't ask me how on earth you could actually shoot that rig hand held, but it cracks me up that you can do it.

Canon went super small with their EOS M, which was announced only a few months ago. See this, which gives some idea of the size of EOS M against a typical Canon DSLR.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx

Default Canon Powershot

(this really is beyond a "point and shoot") the s100, (or earlier s95) can do a whole lot (probably more than most can get out of it, plus it is so small and light you'll have it in your pocket when you see that great photo) Canon PowerShot S100 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom........check it out. Nikon 5100 or 3100 also good with many lens options.......remember SMALL AND LIGHT with simple lens options!
    Tom Babb

Default Still looking

Well I've looked, searched, posted over at DPReviews forum...

Tough. The following two are looking good at just under 500 bucks now.

Nikon D3100
    Panasonic DMC-FZ 150
    maybe the Canon SX40 / SX50

Down to my last DPComparsion

But so do these all have benefits.... and some specials and deals through the holiday seasons. maybe.

Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens and EOS HD Movie Mode (Black)
    Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
    Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikon Zoom Lens
    Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikon Zoom Lens
    Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera and DIGIC 4 Imaging
    Nikon D5100 16.2MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera
    Canon Powershot SX500 IS Digital Camera Bundle Amazon
    PowerShot SX40 HS here
    Canon PowerShot SX130 IS 12 Megapixel Digital Camera with 12x Optical Zoom, 3" LCD, Optical Image
    Nikon D5100 review - expensive
    D5000 - expensive
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200

Smile stop fretting

and go with the Nikon 3100! Get out there and shoot! Remember it's not the camera that takes great photos, it's you.
    Tom Babb