Thread: Tell Me Why

Default Tell Me Why

My iMac is connected to a Burly 2 Bay I use for backup. I use SuperDuper to backup and rotate from one drive to the other for sequential backups. 3 partitions on each drive. Connected to FW 800. So before updating software tonight I get Effective copy speed 25.66 MB/s.

I go to the little woman's 3.06 Core 2 Duo connected to a PATA HD using FW 400 and I get the following on her computer: Effective copy speed 333.43 MB/s.

Help Mr. Wizard what have I done wrong?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

What you have done wrong is believe the readings you got from that PATA drive. Get a 340MB file and duplicate it.. if it takes under 3 seconds then you have a laptop possessed of a demon (a SPEED demon!)

FW 400 is only worth 40-50MB a sec at the best of times and a PATA 2.5" drive is worth less than that

You probably have some conflict with your FW>PATA bridge and your speed checker
    Damien,

Yeah, that ain't real.

And don't forget that file transfer speed can be affected by lots of things:

- Speed of bus
    - Speed of both HDs
    - % full of both HDs
    - Fragmentation of both HDs
    - Size and type of files
    - Back up/copy tool or protocol
    - Backup compression or encryption
    - Other activity on drives, buses, etc.
    - Sun spots
    - Whether or not any planets have lined up
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

You know I didn't really think about the 333.43 MB/s transfer rates very much, but in retrospect Damien's right it's possessed. I think it was the Effective copy speed that SuperDuper gives.

Actually you see I have noticed that her computer is almost always faster at backups than mine. I would imagine that's because she doesn't do much but email and surf the web. I downloaded Blackmagicdesign's Disk Speed Test from the Apple App Store and it said that her backup drive was a read only drive. So I guess that the older equipment just doesn't work so well on this here modern computer.

What I was really wondering about is why my transfer rates seem so slow for FW800. When I use Disk Speed Test it says that read/write speeds are around 70 MB/s. However my backup speeds were only 25.66 MB/s. So why is my FW800 running so slow, is it using SuperDuper?

Demons, right?

I don't think SuperDuper read speeds well... effective speeds can look big if minimal data's changed. Test one big file without SuperDuper. just eye ball or stop watch it.

I've seen mine over 1,000 and it's not moving data that fast unless you calculate data not changed. I think.