Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Internet connection loss

Good call Dave... I had assumed the Airport WAS the router. If it isn't, we got trouble in river city.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    ...trouble in river city...
    That starts with T, which rhymes with P.....
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Good point. One router only please.

Second can be used as WAP, but yes, no DHCP.

I had to sort out a school with 4 routers once. One run by the district, three setup for wireless, but left in default mode, so that in effect, they had 4 separate networks on the same wire. Every time they would reboot machines, they would get duplicate IPs, or better yet, change routers. network devices like printers and servers would mysteriously appear and disappear....

That was fun to sort out.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Angry Printer Issue

I am starting all over!!!! Going to create a new network step by step.
    Last night I could not print wireless from MacBook. I could print from iMac G4 (Ethernet to airport; wireless from airport to printer) I deleted it and reselected it. Then showed to be printing but never past 1%. Restarted printer, computers, and airport (only router on network) After printer and Macbook were assigned the same IP. I apparently have "something" wrong. I started airport, then printer, then MacBook trying to eliminate dual IPs.

Positive side: "Learning experience". Wife's Airbook still has same IP as when the issue came up.

OK, if you are sure your WISP is not routing traffic, then this should be fairly easy.

On the Airport, you want to select a range of IPs within the DHCP configuration. For example....since this is a home, and only a handful of devices, you do something like this:

Router IP: 10.0.0.1

Printer 1: 10.0.0.10
    Printer 2: 10.0.0.11

DHCP range: 10.0.0.100 to 10.0.0.200

With something like this, your first DHCP device (laptop, PC, phone, iPad, etc.) will get IP 10.0.0.100, and then the next will get .101, then .102, and so on.

If you start at .100, then you have everything from .2 to .99 that can be a static IP. You probably only need one or two static devices, but this way you will never outgrow your network, and you can can assign whatever static IPs you want (primarily you want to make it fairly easy to remember.)

Other tips:

- You don't have to use 10.0.0.x. Some folks prefer 192.168.1.x or something else. Doesn't really matter on a small home network, just pick one range and stick with it.

- Some folk like to hand out low IPs (.2, .3, ,4 etc) and end the DHCP range lower, and reserve higher IPs for statics, such as DHCP range from .2 to .100, and then use .101 or higher for static printers and such. Again it does not matter at all, just pick a method that makes sense to you—easy to remember—and stick with it.

- Most network devices like printers have a web interface. Once running, go to the IP you gave it and check it out. Bookmark the IP, and you won't have to remember so much....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    ...and airport (only router on network)...
    Ah! OK wojo; I guess I misread the thread. I think I made another assumption too; that, like mine, your Airport network is connected to another modem/router. I know nothing about the WISP thing.

Is it still possible that the WISP is dishing out IP addresses as well as the Airport? unclemac said "OK, if you are sure your WISP is not routing traffic".

Once more for emphasis.... "make sure that only one device is distributing IP addresses"!

As one who has already declared that TCP/IP makes my eyes glaze over, and as one who, clever as I may be, missed this trick once, I would make sure that only one device is distributing IP addresses.

Cheers!

Dave.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"