Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Internet connection loss

Default Internet connection loss

Past few nights I have been experienced internet access issues:
    Doesn't matter what site is being browsed, after 30-45 minutes internet is un-responsive.
    Consistent on MacBook, Macbook Air and IMac G4. Network diagnostic indicates everything functioning. I can power cycle my airport and radio transmitter to ISP OK for about same amount of time. Went through same cycle last night 3 times then gave up. ISP email says their monitor to my system show under 50 kbs all 3 times and suggested I power cycle my router and radio transmitter. Since I was already ahead of them, how do I determine which might be the culprit? (From past experience, the ISP always blames any issue on the MAC)

ANY insight appreciated!!!

Hard to say. Does internet access come back to normal immediately after rebooting router or modem? If so, likely one of them is the culprit. You say "radio transmitter".....is it a modem? DSL or Cable? Satellite? Something else?

Next time, try cycling power on just the modem, and see what happens. If no change, try just the router. Need to remove variables, one at a time.

Both have logs that can give some insight. Take a peek for clues.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Question Radio

The system has a radio signal transmitter/receiver that goes to an antenna on the roof by a cable that looks like an ethernet cable. A "cross over" cable attaches to the LAN port on the my airport extreme router. This allows for virtually the same down load and upload signal.
    (In actuality the upload is normally about 85-90% of download when clocked on a link accessed on the ISP website.)

My airport extreme made in 1995 and is compatible up to 802.11G. My MacBook and My wife's Macbook Air are "N" compatible.

Since my post NO recurrence of the issue, but yesterday signal came right back after the first power cycle but there was a delay after subsequent cycles.

The ISP claims they were able to "Ping thru to your router" claiming elimination of their equipment. So, when the issue occurs I will power cycle their Box First. Then again, I have been looking for a reason to upgrade our airport.

Thanks

1995 = time for a new router.

I would do that first, and see if things improve. N will give twice the range and speed (to N devices). An airport express may work for you, or look at a mid line Netgear or Linksys. Not the cheapest, but no need for top of the line either.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

So, what is on the roof? Satellite? Antenna connecting to a wireless network?

Red face Antenna

Works on a 900 Hhz Radio signal from antenna on my roof to repeaters at approximately 10 mile intervals to the ISP servers. Configuration is somewhat like the radio tower system used by our state police to communicate with their units in rural areas. Until recent upgrade to phone service we were restricted to Dial Up or inconsistent "slow" cable internet. The service was put in place a couple of years ago by the man my wife works for primarily to establish internet service for his Hunting Lodge. He has since expanded to public access. I was very skeptical at first. Compared to the previous service this system ROCKS. He is a stock holder in the company where I work and it also uses it. Each branch of the corporation, Two tire stores, a Convenience store, his farm, his hunting lodge, his office, and a fertilizer company have LANs that are linked into one domain. He is a MAC user himself; the hunting lodge, my wife and he use MACs in his office. Unfortunately the computer genius he hired to help design and maintain the system is Mac Phoebic. My current issue is a rare. Greatest advantage over other systems is storms have little effect on signal.

Confused Issue returned

Power cycle of ISP device no effect.
    Power cycle of Airport restored internet after about 20 minutes minutes. Console showed the following message in System Log about time of freeze.

Nov 3 23:15:51 Woody-Owenbys-MacBook mDNSResponder[18]: PenaltyTimeForServer: PenaltyTime negative -3927, (server penaltyTime 1594084516, timenow 1594088443) resetting the penalty

mDNS is Bonjour......so if it is timing out, router is the likely culprit. Replace that router.

Oh yeah, WISPs can be very fast, and very cool. You are lucky to have the option.
    Last edited by unclemac; 11-04-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Smile Thanks unclemac

I picked up a new airport extreme.
    (opted for it because I still use my IMac G4 for banking by ethernet and my Dish Network received uses ethernet. I have been swapping connections on old airport while banking; old ethernet hub power supply went Out.)

Again Thanks.

No worries. Up and running again? Problem gone?

How's the range with the new router?

Smile Up & Running

Had thunderstorms throughout weekend with power out.
    Came home today and had everything working in less than 1/2 hour.
    (The thing that took longest was getting printer setting changed to new network)

(Spent this morning at work getting rid of post power outage "windows woes". Administrator won't let me set the power back-ups to do auto-shutdown like I have at home. One time power was off over 4 hours and no problems here. At work 3 of 5 power back ups needed new batteries.)

Thanks to All. ISSUE RESOLVED

Question Message

If either my wife is using a Macbook Air on internet and I open a browser, of if I am already on the internet and she opens a browser we have a pop up message that "another device is using your ip address" after we select "ok" the browser connects to internet. I do not see anything that reaches out and slaps me in the face in system preference for the network.

(I just not clear minded past couple of days; Found out my dog has cataracts and going blind; does anyone believe: $1300 per eye to remove them?)

Thanks,

Usually we all run DHCP - which only means the router gives your computer an IP 'on the fly' when your computer connects. Now, in your case, either the router used is messing up and allowing both computers the same IP or the computers were set to not use DHCP and are manually each having the same IP (set in Network Preferences on the computer). That can happen, but is usually not something that someone will will do by mistake since you have to type the dang thing in. Apple makes 'Manual IP' very manual.

You might recycle the router and then reboot each computer. See if you can get them all to get along properly. Routers that can properly handle DHCP is like a kitchen sink handling water. This is not a difficult task on the list of things a router has to do. If the router is messing it up and it continues past a reset (and maybe a firmware update - routers get lots of those) then it should be replaced.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up I just installed

Sure "hope" not the router, just Installed new Airport extreme two days ago

Thanks for input. I will check set up again tonight and check for firmware updates.

Yeah....and be sure all connecting devices are set to DHCP, and let the router do its work.

Even if the router is set to defaults (handing out addressees via DHCP) you can over ride that by setting devices with static IPs. If any of your devices are set to static, that is the likely culprit.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I have never seen a network printer EVER work using DHCP. I have to set them to static IP's. Otherwise as soon as they go to sleep and wake with a new IP the print driver can no longer find it
    Damien,

Default The Printer

The duplicate IP was the wireless printer. When I shut it down and restarted it now has a different IP; we not longer get the message. After the second shutdown and restart of all devices the network is working ok.

I have very little experience with network troubleshooting. My old airport extreme was virtually trouble free from the get go. It worked with the wireless printer with out conflicts and was set up by ethernet. When the new one came on line and showed on the choices of networks I did very little except security.

I do not find reference to "static" IP addresses in the little set up book from the Airport Extreme package. I will go to apple support and look for an article.

Thanks

You're better off just asking questions here on how to configure your IP. You might set the printer to a fixed IP, that way it won't be a problem again. Look at the IP that the Airport is giving your computers, probably 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 or something like that. Then in the printer control panel you should be able to set it to always be something like 192.168.1.110

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Despite Damien's possessed printers , with most modern printers you should have no issues with DHCP, at least with a Mac. Bonjour (default mDNS zero config protocol) don't need no stinkin' IP address.

So if your printer supports Bonjour, and about 98% do these days, you should be set, regardless of IP.

Wireless printers......can get a little more tricky, but the router should remember all the devices once sorted out, and you should see no more problems.

Oh, and you can download and install Bonjour on your Windows devices, so printing is a little less Windows-like.

If you do want/need to have any static IPs, we can talk about DHCP ranges or reservations to make everything play nice.

I hate to admit it, but when it comes to dealing with TCP/IP my eyes do rather tend to glaze over...

I know that I should be able to understand it better than I do, but I guess I've never made enough effort.

That said, I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here.

I have an acquaintance who is very savvy about TCP/IP in a professional way. Ages ago, when I was having some problems with my Airport Extreme wlan, he came up with one of those nuggets of information that I hadn't come across; "make sure that only one device is distributing IP addresses". So, when I read...

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    ...Look at the IP that the Airport is giving your computers...
    ... I thought "the Airport shouldn't be doing that if the router is doing DHCP"!

Just a thought
    "illegitimis non carborundum"