Thread: Internal SATA card (PCI Express) for G5

Default Internal SATA card (PCI Express) for G5

Is there such a beast? I mean, in particular one that is BOOTABLE?

I looked at the Sonnet Cards. Very expensive. Not bootable. Bummer.

Seriously, are there any out there? And why are the overwhelming vast majority external (am I the only one that thinks that's a tad odd?).

Thanks

Default Why I am asking.....

This is a little frustrating......

Long explanation (I will try and keep it short).

So, I got a new(er) G5. Put my old boot volume (running 10.4) and the users volume in the HD spaces provided. That uses up all two bays.

The machine came with 10.5 already installed on another HD (it is sitting quietly on a shelf, waiting to be put into use). But all my apps are on my current 10.4 boot volume.

So, I bought an external PCIe SATA card through the Gurus, but the computer will not boot into 10.5 from the Burly. It spits me right back into 10.4 again, no matter what I do.

What I need to do is boot into 10.5 with the users volume nearby AND the old 10.4 boot volume handy. I need to be able to drag my old apps from the old 10.4 boot volume over to the new 10.5 boot volume, and before I finish, point the new 10.5 boot volume to my users volume so it knows what to do.

The 10.4 boot volume is a SSD drive, and so far, it did not work in the Burly (something about the adapter or the connections not quite lining up correctly, I think).

So, I have a need to have three HDs installed in my G5, at least temporarily, and would just like to do a simple hack. Maybe something involving cables and power adapters. The Sonnet G5 Jive is still available, but not really feeling the love to spend a 100 smackers on that nifty gadget PLUS I still have to go out get an internal SATA card because the G5 Jive doesn't come with one. Just the cables and stuff.

I figure I can do this a lot cheaper than a 100 smackers if I jury rig something. but still need a SATA card...... and it needs to be bootable.....

So that's the whole story.

My LAST option is to put BOTH boot volumes in the Mac (one has 10.4 on it, the other has 10.5) and see if the computer will recognize my current users volume in the Burly Hot Swap. It might or might not. Hard to say. Other than buying a bunch of stuff, this is my last (and pretty sure cheapest) resort. But don't know if it will work.

Opinions on how to do this or what to do? I don't need to have a bunch of HD's in the G5 ALL the time..... just long enough to make the transition from 10.4 to 10.5, and hopefully have it go smoothly.

Again, thanks......

P.S. A very very very kind person from the Gurus sent me an install 10.5 disc (which would solve my problems, I think), but sadly I believe it's only for Intel machines.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Putting both boot drives in the mac and the users volume in the burly should work just fine. There is nothing in the users folder that is required for booting
    Damien,

Awesome! I will give it a try!

It is true that the User volume can be external. I find it safer, from a boot timing standpoint, if you have auto login turned off. That way the boot up hesitates before loading the user, you then log in as your user and voila', you are up and running.

You can also install a second boot drive into a Firewire case.

Only place you cannot install a boot volume is connected through a PCI card that uses drivers.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Height of frustration

Thanks for the advice Rick. I have just had a supremely aggravating experience where I put the users volume in the burly, with both boot drives in the G5.

At first, booting up into 10.4, it didn't recognize the users volume and told me I couldn't log in (kinda what you were saying about auto log in). Restarted, and voila, it was there.

I then restarted into 10.5, and it did not recognize the users volume. I restarted, still no luck. A third restart failed to find it.

While booted into 10.5 (w/o my users volume), I dragged a couple of my regularly used apps from the 10.4 boot disk over to the 10.5 apps folder, and every one of them asked for me to supply my registration info or buy the software. I'm desperately hoping that that was only because my users volume wasn't available and that maybe possibly hopefully all that info is stored there. I honestly don't know where half of that info is (some of it I printed out the receipt and kept it, most of it not sure where the receipts are).

Main problem was reinstalling everything. My 10.4 boot volume is a SSD deal, connected to a cheap ass 3.5 inch adapter. The 2.5 inch SSD plugs into an adapter on the 3.5 inch sled, but the connectors on the 3.5 inch sled are not fixed in place. The whole thing flexes (like it's on a hinge) and I bent a couple of the pins trying to get the data connector cable back into place.

I then removed the 2.5inch SSD from the adapter sled, and tried plugging that in directly to the connectors supplied with the G5. No such luck. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get the data plug to line up correctly. Spent at least a half hour struggling with that. It would simply not go in.

In the end, used the 3.5 inch adapter sled and prayed that it would work, bent pins and all. It did. But I am going to complain bitterly to the manufacturer. It should not take an hour to install a HD in a Mac.

In the meantime, I feel like I am stuck in 10.4.11 land forever. I believe I have a FW drive bay around here somewhere. Will try that next I guess.

One of the most frustrating days of being a Mac owner.... EVER. Sigh.

A couple thoughts.

1) Make sure always to turn off auto login when using a separate User drive.

2) You need to either have a second Administrator user still on the boot drive at /Users or a root password so you can still log in if your user drive is not accessible. I like a root password since I manage a number of computers and can log into any as root. But I am comfortable with root access after so many years. A generic user with admin priv's works just as well.

3) When booted to the new 10.5 install you need to insert the links to your User directory - (just a thought since you said it was unavailable). Then reboot to make it active. Again, turn off auto login. You probably did this, but I mention it since you stated that 10.5 was behaving different from 10.4. They shouldn't behave any differently - a user directory is just a data set and it doesn't matter what OS is accessing it as long as the links are installed properly..

4) 10.5.8 is the best OS ever for a G5. It was the most stable and the most useful. Worth the effort.

5) You can copy the User Directory back into /Users while making the copies of your applications, and the redirect the user to the default /Users/you location.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Well, I got pretty far......

OK, so, I did actually get pretty far. Booted up from OS 10.5 by using the old FW trick, which worked wonders. Had to install Symbolic Link Maker all over again, and had to enable root all over again, but no problem. Once everything was pointed at my users, presto, it was like being in my old 10.4 system, and after clicking on a couple of apps, bingo..... nobody asked for registration info either.

Until I got to iTunes.

Apparently, an older version of iTunes was on the OS 10.5 boot vol (vsn 8.x I think). Apparently my OS 10.4 boot volume is running a newer version (9.x). Neither of them would boot up, for different reasons. One said the library was created by a newer version of iTunes and wouldn't run, and the other said that iTunes was corrupt (or some such nonsense) and it wouldn't run.

I produce a weekly radio show (it's music based) and I rely on the almost 40,000 tunes I have imported there (along with detailed information on each track, work that has been done over the course of many, many years). Without iTunes working, I had to go back to 10.4.11 again. After fooling around with this all morning, I have to get working on this week's show, and am sort of out of time..... until next week.

The other problem is this: with most of my apps on the 10.4 boot volume plus some on the 10.5 boot volume, it's hard to say what happens when I go to update the apps, if they'll still work under 10.4 etc. Although I would like to make the move to 10.5 permanent........ today, I'm not so sure.

This is still really frustrating. It was nice to be in 10.5 for at least 15 minutes.

Sigh......

I used to make fun of my PC friends for how difficult it was to migrate to a new system and a new computer. For most of them, apparently, it involves basically losing everything and starting over. I promise never to make fun of them again.

Well, for the time being, back to OS 10.4.11. The good news is that at least I have a working 10.5 system, that is pointed at my Users volume, has root enabled if I need, which I can use if I need to.....

Sigh......

Still, tho, it all kinda sucks.

Default One quick thing about auto login

Rick,

under auto login, how does booting up into single user mode to access applejack work? I appreciate your point about disabling auto login, but can't figure out how that works during those times you need to use applejack....

Afraid I have absolutely no idea. Never used AppleJack. Not once. Don't really ever use maintenance utilities like that, always done it manually or in Terminal.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default Hmmmmm.....

That's very interesting. I think someone else here musta given the tip on that. I remember reading that it was good to run it before and after software installations, and after any "forced quit" event. Nifty piece of software (at least from what I know about it, which isn't much)

AppleJack: You need to boot into single user mode, which trumps (happens before) auto login.

Hold down: Command + S keys while booting.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I can sympathize with your plite. I've got an old G4 power book with a dead HD and I can't get the 10.5 OS from an PATA HD moved over w/o 2 macs , one in TM. But I'd have to find a place to set them both up.

But I can only sympathize, I don't use or need to use any of them.

Good luck!

Default After a good night's sleep.....

Well, I am actually running my G5 off of 10.5.8 now. After a good night's sleep, gave it another try. After updating iTunes and making sure that almost all of the 40,000 tunes were safely there, went ahead with everything else.

Right now, I'm booted off of a 10k Raptor drive hooked up thru the FW400 port (I thought I had a an 800 cable around here somewhere, but couldn't find it). Still amazed at how fast the darned thing boots up -- even in FW mode. Amazing.

Thanks to the patience of all the Gurus while I was in rant mode. Only minor headache was the iPhone which didn't synch up right after updating the software. Had to do a restore, which, given all the music that's on THAT, might be finished sometime later this evening.

Dragging all my apps over one by one, including some almost never used (but what if I need them later? LOL), and so far, only one has asked to reenter a serial number. Sweet.

Oh, this G5 only came with ONE set of HD screws. Danged if those little buggers don't cost some $10 bucks on eBay. $2.50 a pop. Geeez.

Oh well......

Smooth sailing so far. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement.

10 bucks?? Crap, I used to have a drawer full....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Ha Ha........ dang..... guess you coulda been a millionaire!