Thread: PowerMac G5 PSU fan replacements

Default PowerMac G5 PSU fan replacements

Finally got hold of a powermac G5 early 2005 dual 2ghz machine but are so disapointed with noise! After disconnecting every fan even the hard disk drives i'm pretty certain it's the PSU fans.

Wanting to replace them they are 2 x 60mm Nidec beta sl series fans.

having searched for them i have found no information on that particular model.

thought i could use quieter non-apple fans but not knowing the cfm rating of the nidec fans i'm a little hesitant on doing so.

also I know the fans are 12v 0.18 amps could i use fans with a higher amp rating?

obviously wanting lower decibels but with decent CFM.

It has been a while, but I replaced numerous power supply fans in G5s over the years. Not that hard to do. Spec's are NOT that important. A little more or less power draw is not an issue. I think last time I used Stealth fans from Vantec, since that is what we sell in the Burlys. Those fans must be near the same CFM or greater than the originals.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Sidewinder Computers

Not only a huge selection of fans but tech data on them as well as a listening room which has audio files of the fans running and audio wave form graphs for comparison
    Damien,

thanks guys for you're input! I did hear someone using those Vantec stealth fans but noticed the current rating was only 0.08 Amps.

I didn't know there would be a website with audio files for fans! will investigate and post what fans i decide to use.

So finally got some replacements, after pulling out the old nidec fans i thought i would test them in my quicksilver to test the CFM, didn't pay close enough attention to the wiring as they were backwards so i ended up frying one of the originals. Realizing this i then had to rewire both the replacement fans in order for them to work. they are now installed and no longer have that irritating whine! YAY!

specs are as follows:

Generic 60mm Fan (SKU: F6025S12L)
    Fan speed: 1800RPM
    Airflow: 14 CFM
    Noise level: 13 dB(A)
    Voltage rating: 12V DC
    Bearing type: Sleeve
    Connector: 3-pin motherboard connector

again thanks for the help and hopefully someone else can benefit from this post.

Thumbs up

Nice. Thanks for the update. Alway like to hear the end of the story.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin