Thread: Volume won't mount

Default Volume won't mount

My printer somehow became uninstalled overnight, and Canon suggested that I reinstall the drivers. The actual error message is to check that the printer is connected. I repowered both comptuer and printer, changed the USB cable and repaired the permissions twice.

I downloaded the drivers but when I click on the downloaded file I get an error message that the disk image failed and the volume will not mount. No idea how to fix this and would appreciate any help.

My wife's old G4 with 10.4.11.

THanks.

Which model of Cannon?

Check in your system prefs. You might have to delete the old printer first and then add it again.

You might try downloading one more time. Sounds like the file may be damaged/corrupted.

Only other thought is that is compressed in a format your Mac can't handle. Is it a .sit, .dmg, .pkg....or something else?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Did you restart the computer too? AppleJack on Tiger used to fix everything for me, well almost.

Hi to all,

the printer is the Canon MP490 that she bought about 2-3 years ago and has always worked fine with her G4.

I did download multiple times and wind up with a .dmg file in the download window. But it will not install.

Canon tech support had me eliminate the printer via the Preferences/Printer window and now it will not reinstall. But the G4 does know that the printer is there because when I click on USB under the About this Mac, it shows the MP490 printer. Canon tech support concludes this is an Apple issue and not a printer issue.

I also powered down the G4 and computer multiple times.

Default Try this once more

I'd try deleting the current printer you now see in the Preferences/Printer window.

Delete any old .dmg's or installers for the printer. Then try downloading the driver from another source. This says it's for 10.3/10.4/10.5 you might try try this one.

Then look in your printer Preferences and see if you can see a new printer and 'add' it.

You might be able to get a printer driver off a OSX 10.4 installer CD/DVD too. Specifically how I am forgetting now but someone might chime in. I'll look today to myself.

Default Volume does not mount

Hi RWM,

Euraka! I donwloaded the driver from the Canadian site as you suggested and all is fine. Thank you very much.

Interestingly the file name is exactly the same as the file downloaded from Canon USA but the Canadian verison installed faultlessly while the US version would not install.

In case anyone else ever has this issue and finds this thread, after installing I restarted the G4 and it hung up at the opening Apple logo screen. But after a full power down and restart all was well.

Thanks again.

Mark

Thumbs up Great, Love a good ending

You never know what little issue it might be. It doesn't make much sense but it works now. Glad your up and going again. Your other file was probably corrupted or in download process was. Why? I dunno. Voodoo

Something wrong with the US driver, likely the download it corrupt, or incorrect. Nice working finding a substitute.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

You are clearly correct, but I did download the file multile times on different days with the same result. Could be my G4 but I suspect it is at Canon's end. But unless someone else running OS 10.3,4 or 5 tries I guess we cannot know for sure.