Thread: ATT / Safari ?

Question ATT / Safari ?

Using G4 .... OS !0.4.11 ... Safari 4.1.3 or 5?
    Can't tell because Applejack whipped it out.

A Couple of months ago I bought a new cell phone and decided to dump my land line, but keep my DSL line. They were both on the same line.

Said they would have to make me a new account.
    I said ok!

Only had to pay $29.99 monthly .... for a year.
    So everything worked as before, except untill I ran Applejack 1.6 ..... which I have been using for a number of years.... with NO problems.

Then ran Applejack, then rebooted Safari.
    Asked me to sign on ... but didn't do a thing.

Called ATT to explain and they said they didn.t have any account for me .... but I receive a monthiy bill for my new account.

After talking to ATT for 1:30 .... went nowhere!
    She said I would have to re-register but how do I save / cary over ALL my Bookmarks and Emails from my old Safari to my new Safari????

Still can access my my bookmarks but can't sign-on unless I re-register.

Hope someone has the answer.... ATT sure doesn't/
    So much for ATT Internet support.

PLEASE HEIP! MR. WIZARD!

Thank you, h

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Nothing you do at ATT will affect your bookmarks or emails unless its an ATT email address even then (unless you change your address) it won't affect it
    Damien,

Ok so what do you mean apple jack whipped out Safari? That has me confused.

And then what does Safari have you signing into? AT & T?

Are cookies blocked?

And what damien said.

Question Thanks friend!

I believe I am using ATT email. I guess I'm strewed.

It could be yahoo .... but it's sbcglobal.net ... is that ATT?

If ATT doesn't show my account and I use the same user name and password will / should everything still work as before.

h

SBCGlobal and AT&T are the same

Are you talking about a web based email? Where you go to a web page in Safari and read your email? IF so then all of your email info in that case is stored at AT&T and (still) not in Safari. Now since AT&T made you close one account and open a new one when you dropped your landline, and IF they were bastards (or clueless) you may have lost your emails, email address and email archives.

If this is all true and if AT&T only disabled your old account they may be able to return that address to you or at least get you your emails. If your old account has been deleted then your stuff is likely gone. Either way it will be a job for AT&T tech support… so just how bad do you need this stuff back? Sounds like a 4 hour phone call to tech support to me

In any case Safari stores its bookmarks locally (on your mac) so you will not have lost those unless you reformatted your hard drive
    Damien,

Lightbulb

ATT bought out SBC, which bought out Pac Bell, and others, so it is very convoluted why ATT = SBC, Pac Bell, etc. for accounts. Yahoo partnered with SBC, so that's why ATT is using Yahoo. Microsoft may buy Yahoo at some point, so don't be surprised if Yahoo mail becomes HotMail, or visa-versa....or something else.....like Bing mail.

Got it?

So.....anyway.....you would be wise to NOT use your ISP provided free email, because you don't get to control it. If it is gone, now would be a good time to start your own email account that YOU control. Gmail is the biggest. Yahoo is pretty good too (not SBC Yahoo though.....), and there are others that are free, but not connected to an IPS.

One of the best reasons: Let's say you get tired of ATT (not hard to imagine....) or move, and use a different ISP. What happens to your email account? You are stuck. Use Gmail or something like it, and you can switch ISPs whenever you want. And routers. And client computers. And platforms.

ATT (in some areas) is requiring "Uverse". I will forever refer to it as F-Uverse, cause they F-U. You have to use their router. Have an Airport? Or a Linksys? Or a Netgear? or a Sonicwall? F-U, use their router. Want to extend your network? Or use other devices, like plugging in a USB printer to share over the network? F-U, use their router.

A pretty good reason to not be bound to an ISP.

If you have to start over, consider not starting over with ISP mail.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    ATT (in some areas) is requiring "Uverse". I will forever refer to it as F-Uverse, cause they F-U. You have to use their router. Have an Airport? Or a Linksys? Or a Netgear? or a Sonicwall? F-U, use their router. Want to extend your network? Or use other devices, like plugging in a USB printer to share over the network? F-U, use their router.
    You can put the ATT router into a pass thru mode and use your Apple airport with no issue. Makes the ATT router into a simple DSL modem for the uverse signal. In my area the ATT router is no charge, you don't have to rent it.
    Damien,

Guess I'll go head and re-register for a new account. Then set up my G-mail for emails.

What I did was move all my bookmark folders to my desk top. Think I can just open each one after I sign on .... maybe?
    They need to be cleaned-up anyway.

Thanks for all heip, h

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    You can put the ATT router into a pass thru mode and use your Apple airport with no issue. Makes the ATT router into a simple DSL modem for the uverse signal. In my area the ATT router is no charge, you don't have to rent it.

No real Bridge mode, at least in the traditional sense, with the NVG510. Also can't easily set DNS either.

Work arounds, but not a fan of locking down my routing choices. And it can take hours and hours to figure out. And alas, there is no way to use a modem as I understand it. The list goes on....

I wouldn't care if I could use something else. Don't like being locked into such a painful choice.

Haz: Bookmarks will only help if your old account is there (on their server) and you can access it. Otherwise.....they are a road to nowhere.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Been dealing with health issues for about a week now ..... will get back on the mail when my health improves ... if ever.

Thanks for all the help!
    h