Thread: internet issues / hardware problem ?

Default internet issues / hardware problem ?

G5 , dual 2 ghz, 8 gb ram, osx 10.5.8

I bought the above (used) machine and since day one there have been internet issues. What I know about how these things work concerning the internet is very little. But, here is what I have:

G5 is sitting under a glass open air desk, it is approx 25 feet from the wireless router, this unit has an Airport Extreme card ( no external antenna).

75% of the time it takes forever to open a web page or to even connect. The wi-fi indicator at the top of the screen shows all four bars so it has a signal.....

For some reason, the only time the internet seems to run correctly is when I can here the processor fans ramp up and they are loud ..... once the fans / processor quiet back down, the web goes back slow again.....that alone concerns me...

i do not have any problem with wi-fi on my mac mini in the exact same location. I have tried Safari and Firefox. I'm beginning to think it's hardware related......

Help please ?

Have you tried to connect direct via a ethernet / cat5 cable rather than wireless just to start and identify or narrow down the issue.

From your description... it sounds very confusing. The Problem not your description.
    Last edited by rwm; 10-07-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: My last sentence made no sense

I would check the antenna wires to the wireless card. I have seen them making bad contact.

And agree with the trying it out cat5 direct wired. If I had a fixed location for a computer I would always prefer a wired connection to a wireless, given a choice.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by briardguy View Post
    G5 , dual 2 ghz, 8 gb ram, osx 10.5.8...this unit has an Airport Extreme card ( no external antenna)....
    When you say "no external antenna", do you mean no antenna at all, not even the little stock T-shaped antenna which might have come with the G5 if it's like mine, a June 2004? Or do you mean no additional range-extending after-market external antenna.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

These guys are on it. G5s need the external antenna. Many folks don't know this, so this is a common (mysterious) issue:

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Only the early G5s used an external antenna. Later models had an internal one. Must be connected regardless

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ahh......good to know. Tuff to sort out as all G5s look the same, and are named: G5.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Only the early G5s used an external antenna. Later models had an internal one. Must be connected regardless

Rick
    Rick, do you know if the later G5's with an internal antenna also have an antenna port?

I used to use my June 2004 dual 2.0Ghz with a Dr. Bott external antenna plugged into the antenna port. I'd have been stuffed without that port.

The internal antenna models have a wire that connects to the airport card, but no externalized port for that antenna.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by briardguy View Post
    [B]...For some reason, the only time the internet seems to run correctly is when I can here the processor fans ramp up and they are loud ..... once the fans / processor quiet back down, the web goes back slow again.....that alone concerns me......

Hmmmnnn. Dunno. Not enough information.

I too have a MacMini as my main machine, and a Dual 2.0Ghz G5 running headless as a storage silo. But both my Mac's are wired. I use Timbuktu to manage the G5.

Since it's as big as a fridge and not easily moved, if you can connect the G5 via ethernet, I'd say do that and forget about wi-fi.