Thread: Video card for G5 2.3DP

Default Video card for G5 2.3DP

I had a couple of G5s in this afternoon, one with a dead PSU, to turn into one good one.
    However, got a little dilemma:
    The owner has two Cinema Displays with ADC connectors and wants to use them both on a single G5.
    The defunct one was a 1.8DP with PCI, the newer, good one is a 2.3DP.
    However, with one AGP slot, he's only got one ADC port on the card. Rather than buy a DVI to ADC adapter for $120 or thereabouts he would prefer to have a 2nd video card. Problem there is that I can't find a video card for the PCI-X slots that has an ADC port on it... any ideas?
    Otherwise it's shelling out for the adapter.

No help here.

If it were me, I would buy newer DVI monitor and be done with it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I already suggested that, but he likes the cinema displays. Even good 24" monitors can be bought, with DVI and HDMI inputs for less than 150/$240.

yeah.....we do what we can, eh?

I just have a hard time going back to or recommending dark, pre-LED screens. Besides, when he upgrades his Mac next year, what to do with ADC monitors?

But you already know that.
    Last edited by unclemac; 09-26-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: clarity
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes, he's in a bit of a cleft stick really. He's just bought the 2.3DP to replace the 1.8DP that the PSU died on... told him it wasn't worth spending the money on. He only paid 200 / $320 for the Mac and Cinema Display that came with it, so he was pretty happy with that.
    I did, however, start to get through to him on the cost of monitors this afternoon and he's now rethinking the way forward. I told him to buy a 24" with dual HDMI and DVI inputs so when he buys his Macbook Pro in a couple of months time he could use it with the new monitor, rather than wasting money on the adapter.
    He only uses the G5 with Logic 8 for music and he's happy with that, so he's not thinking of upgrading that Mac for some considerable time.