Thread: MacBook Woe

Confused MacBook Woe

When I try to restarted or shutdown my MacBook it goes as far a the gray screen with apple logo and spinning "wheel" under it but does not complete restart or shut down. Haven't had any problems at all until took it to apple store for trackpad issue to be fixed under applecare. ("Click" was restricted to left side of pad; they replaced the tension screw and I have had no more problem with that.) That was 1 day round trip; I live is SE Arkansas and the apple store is in Little Rock 85-90 miles away. Hoping for a software fix and not another trip for hardware issue. Last night I shutdown with power button after about 10 minutes.
    Any ideas??
    MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook7,1 OS 10.6.8
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz Boot ROM Version: MB71.0039.B0B
    SMC Version (system): 1.60f5 Serial Number (system): W8031JYNF5W
    Hardware UUID: D6B88B01-6D1E-5C77-B2B7-996648EF9622

Question A few questions

Can you put a OSX Installer DVD in and boot to that? hold the c key

Do you have a FW/USB HD backup you can boot to?

Can you or do you have access to another computer? - try TDM

Sounds like it's looking for a system to boot to. Could your disk be bad?

Have you used any or can you boot to any other repair disk?

This would be a good time to use Disk Warrior, if you have it.

Also, a good time to look at the console log and see if there was something that was trying to work or hanging up.

Does it happen every time now?

You might also try safe boot mode (hold down the shift key while booting), and see if it still hangs on shut down, while in safe boot mode.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Rolleyes Thank you Both

I have disks that came with the MacBook.
    I have the Apple Care Disk.
    I can attach it to my 500 GB USB Drive and back up.
    Have disk warrior for my PPC iMac but not an intel processor.

Looks like some diagnostics ahead.

Can you get the CD/DVD open. I'm not sure of any specfic tricks on those. Try to hold the mouse button down on startup, this often opens the optical drive.

Then put a bootable CD/DVD into it and try a restart while holding the 'c' key.

Backup if you have not. If the USB drive has a valid OSX it should boot.

What did "safe boot" do? Yes, Diskwarrior would be good here. Keep posting...

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Can you get the CD/DVD open. I'm not sure of any specfic tricks on those. Try to hold the mouse button down on startup, this often opens the optical drive.

Then put a bootable CD/DVD into it and try a restart while holding the 'c' key.
    last time I had experience with this mouse button trick it would NOT work with the trackpad button or a wireless mouse. Has to be a wired USB mouse
    Damien,

Smile OK Now

I started on install dvd. Repaired Disk.
    I also found that console had error: not able to find "help" for MacKeeper. invalid file.
    cleared console. I uninstalled MacKeeper about 3 weeks ago because I seemed to be creating a conflict with banking software; problem began right after installing MacKeeper. Removed preference for MacKeeper.

"No restart and shutdown" is no longer an issue.

Again, Thanks to ALL who posted.

Woody

Question Progress

There are probably still some MacKeeper .plist's toss them /library/not sure and users/library/not sure

Someone will know and post better. Use spotlight and search MacKeeper for misc items.

Were you able to repair permissions and disk? What happened?

MacKeeper is MalWare. It is designed to separate you from a some money and is poor programming to go along with that. My recommendation is thoroughly remove MacKeep from your computer. Here's the best article on doing that that I have seen.

How To Remove MacKeeper
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ditto!!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

There really is no better a description of the situation than ricks. And it provides the solution. Gets my vote for best posting of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    last time I had experience with this mouse button trick it would NOT work with the trackpad button or a wireless mouse. Has to be a wired USB mouse
    Nope. It will always work with the trackpad button unless there's something wrong with it.
    And there's no optical drive to open... it's a slot loader!

I put a page on my website about MacKreeper... disgusting plague that it is! The number of people I get calling me after installing that crap is amazing. It's the most heavily advertised thing in the Mac internet world... and I thought that Norton was bad!

When they called me and offered me 50% commission for being an affiliate I suspected it was junk, but they gave me a complimentary copy of it to try. I was appalled at how bad it was. It hardly did anything that it claimed to do and as for speeding up my mac? Yeah, it was like tying a ton of concrete to it's feet and asking it to run a marathon! BAD BAD BAD!

MacLoon,

Please link your afore mentioned page so we can all read it.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

http://www.animacs.co.uk/AVOID_THIS_PLAGUE%21.html

I didn't go into too much detail because I didn't want a debate about it! It's awful... end of story.

To the point. Bravo.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Cool MacBook working like new

I posted advising Mac users to stay clear of MacKeeper on FaceBook advising that others learn from my experience with it and check out software before buying into the internet Hype.

Again Thanks for everyone's help.

All is WELL in wojo land.

They've got away with selling crud by exploiting people's fears. There are enough Windoze plonkers out there shouting about "new viruses found on Macs" without any real justification at all, but if they repeat the lie often enough it gets believed. And then, of course, along comes MacStabber and the unlucky ones think they're doing the right thing by buying it.
    A quick search prior to shelling out their hard earned cash though will show up enough reports stating how rubbish it is.
    The more people who trash it on Facebook the better... well done Wojo!