Thread: burly rackmount enclosure

Default burly rackmount enclosure

Hi- I have an older Burly rackmount enclosure with an esata port multiplier card.

I have run out of available PCI slots on my computer (and thusly had to remove my SATA card), so I would like to convert the rack to FW800. Can you please tell me what to buy to accomplish this? I think i would like to make 4 bays work with FW800 and leave 4 bays on the esata. Is this doable?

Thanks
    Andy in Brooklyn

(i already spoke with someone on the phone about this, but i failed to act. thanks and sorry)

Best method is replace the port multiplier board with the Burly Firewire/PM upgrade kit. This kit has a JMicron Firewire bridge and PM board that are made to work together. Nice part is you can easily switch it back to eSATA.

molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Trayless incompatibility?

Hi Rick -

So it works great, I got my FW port multiplier card. I have 2 trayless bays that don't seem to work. Should there be an issue with that?

Thanks a million.

Andy

I would do some testing - use just one known working drive for all tests...

swap the data cable from one of the working bays with one of the non-working bays. Test both bays with the one drive. Did the problem stay with a bay or move with the cable?

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin