Thread: Need a source for G5 2.5 DP CPU assembly

Default Need a source for G5 2.5 DP CPU assembly

I have a mid-2004 PowerMac G5 2.5GHz Dual Processor, M9457LL/A, PowerMac7.3. The machine has a "bad processor", according to my local Apple Authorized Repair shop, to whom I paid $55.00 for a full diagnostic. I believe them. The machine will only boot via open firmware. (The CPU overheated during an "upgrade" from Tiger to Leopard. )

Everything else works on the machine; it's just the CPU that needs replacement...and it's my intention to replace the entire assembly, by which I mean the daughterboard that contains the two G5 processors plus the liquid cooling unit. I've taken the unit apart to the point wherein I have easy access to the eight Torx screws that I'll need to remove in order to remove the old CPU assembly. Now all I need is a reliable source for a replacement CPU assembly.

The reason I'm asking is because I've found a huge variation in the prices of replacement CPU assemblies everything from $90 for used units to $550 for "refurbished" units. I understand the principle that you (usually) get what you pay for, but in this case I suspect that it's not strictly true. I'm just looking for a recommendation from someone who knows of a reputable vendor.

Thanks!

The only source I knew wanted almost $800 for the set. Heck, I'd sell you a complete 100% working Quad G5 for less than that.

I don't know. Haven't bought PowerPC processors in a while.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I would agree......you should find complete running G5s for $500 or less. Safer than buying parts.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the replies, guys. Actually, that's exactly what I did. I got lucky and won an auction on eBay. Got exactly the machine I wanted for ~$200. I'll just transfer all my RAM and PCI-X cards and hard drives over to that machine, and I'll be off and running.

Meanwhile, I've got this G5 sitting here, and what's it good for? A boat anchor? Seems a waste to just dump it. (I replaced the power supply a few months before it died.) So I figured it would be worth getting it working again just so I could sell it as a working machine. If the CPUs that sell for around $100 are any good, replacing the dead one with a working one is no big deal.

But therein lies the rub...if they're any good. I agree that it's not worth it to spend more than that when one can glom onto a working G5 for a couple of hundred bucks.

Thanks again!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

WIth a couple of bridge boards (USB3, SATA, Firewire800 or Thunderbolt (If it ever gets here) it would make a fine external drives bay
    Damien,

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    WIth a couple of bridge boards (USB3, SATA, Firewire800 or Thunderbolt (If it ever gets here) it would make a fine external drives bay
    Hehe! That's what my 2x2 G5 is destined to be! FW800 jbod!
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

I did the same on a Power Computing full size tower way back when.....had 5 hot swap HD bays in the front.....a sweep backup box. It was the networked Retrospect backup server for a few years, before moving on.

Too bad about the G5s.....I bet the aluminum case is worth 30 bucks at the scrap yard!

Or, gut it and put about 10 Mac Minis in it and have your own super computer rendering cluster.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin